When you apply for this position, please say you saw this job on Green Dream Jobs!!
New Ecology, Inc. Seeks a Vice President
New Ecology, Inc. is seeking a Vice President of Green Building Services. Applicants should have strong management skills, knowledge of sustainable development, people and teambuilding skills, and an entrepreneurial spirit. This position represents a rare opportunity for a proven leader to work for an organization that is at the forefront of green building innovations and making a real impact at the intersection of equity and climate change. The Vice President will be responsible for developing and directing the work of New Ecology’s Green Building team and coordinating with New Ecology’s President and Senior Management team to advance the mission and vision of the organization. This is a hybrid position that is based in the Boston office.
New Ecology (NEI) is a nationally recognized, innovative non‐profit corporation whose mission is to catalyze community-based sustainable development and bring its benefits to underserved populations. NEI’s work is a true example of acting locally to address global environmental and equity issues. It does so by providing technical and programmatic services to support low-income populations by making new and existing affordable housing and community facilities efficient, durable, resilient, and healthy. NEI is known for its cross-disciplinary approach that delivers one-stop-shop services to clients. Staff provide green building technical assistance for 100-200 new construction and rehabilitation projects annually and have greened approximately 200,000 units of affordable housing and assisted other community and public facilities with energy efficiency and green building services. The results of our work are high-performance, healthy, climate resilient buildings that benefit low-income populations and address carbon emissions.
The organization is 23 years old and has had a stable senior management team for over 18 years, including a long-standing President. During that time, it has grown from a staff of 2 to 54 and annual revenues have increased to over $7 million. The organization has a robust fee-for-service model that generates approximately 60% of its revenue. The staff is passionate about the work, and the organization boasts a low staff turnover rate and a collaborative, supportive, and collegial work environment. NEI is governed by a seven-member Board. The offices are located in Boston, MA; Baltimore, MD; and Wilmington, DE.
NEI has experienced tremendous growth and its success at the forefront of the industry portends continued demand for its services and increases in staff. While this new hire replaces a professional in the role for 17 years, this moment in time offers opportunities for redefining this role and expanding our senior team expansion to match NEI’s growth and success. The Vice President will be instrumental in designing and operationalizing the growth plan. This position will report directly to New Ecology’s President and will be responsible for six direct reports.
Position Duties and Responsibilities:
- Vision and Mission Direction
- Represent New Ecology, Inc’s perspective, learnings, and vision in public presentations and forums;
- Provide leadership and coordinate strategic direction with local and remote Green Building teams; and
- In coordination with the President and Senior Management team, develop strategic direction for New Ecology’s growing Green Building Consulting Services to achieve target profitability while simultaneously maximizing positive impact specifically within the context of low-income communities.
- External Engagement
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with client and partner organizations and ensure that New Ecology maintains its reputation as one of the best green building consulting firms in the nation;
- Engage with and provide technical support to local, state, and national organizations and entities that develop policies and programs related to sustainable and efficient affordable housing.
- Fiscal Responsibilities
- Develop the annual budget for the Boston Green Building Services business line, including the development of revenue projections for contracted and anticipated work;
- Evaluate the budgetary performance for the business line on a monthly basis;
- Responsible for financial performance and key performance indicators for consulting projects from tracking to evaluation.
- Manage and oversee the Boston Green Building team of managing Directors, including Directors of Engineering, Technical Services, Field Services, and Green Building Services;
- Work directly with the Director of Green Building Operations to define, implement and revise operational practices, guidelines/policies, and systems to improve business line capacity and performance; and
- Oversee the growth and recruitment needs of the Green Building team and coordinate with Human Resources to recruit, hire, and train a skilled, capable, and diverse staff.
All applicants must demonstrate a desire for a career with a mission-driven organization and to have an impact on addressing the challenges of climate change and equity. NEI typically hires multidisciplinary, lifelong learners who naturally seek a deeper understanding of ways to bring sustainability to the building and community level, how buildings operate, and how to mobilize financial and technical resources to convince owners and operators to adopt greener practices.
While it is recognized that candidates will not possess all the following qualities, successful applicants for Vice President of Green Building Services will exemplify most of the following attributes, skills, and experiences:
A Strategic and Entrepreneurial Leader
- Demonstrated vision and leadership in the sustainability and/or affordable housing communities
- Experience in the high-performance building, energy efficiency, and green building certification sectors; an understanding of relevant regulations and requirements is a plus
- Entrepreneurial in approach with experience in recognizing trends, evolving a product or service, or seizing upon opportunities to be at the forefront of a field
- Proven experience with strategic thinking and plan operationalization
- Agile and thrives in an environment of change
- Demonstrated success in integrating social justice and equity principles into overall organizational strategy
- Talented at solving problems, synthesizing complexity, and finding innovative solutions
- An understanding of the unique ecosystem of affordable housing design and development is a plus
A Seasoned and Facilitative Manager
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in management in a related field, with five years at a senior level.
- Documented experience managing a highly talented, technical staff, including hiring and supervision
- Business development and financial management experience
- Experienced in maintaining a collaborative and family-friendly work environment with the aptitude to motivate, coach, and respect staff
- Demonstrated success in ensuring accountability across a growing staff
- Experienced as a consensus decision-maker and team builder
A Powerful Communicator and Engaging Leader
- Able to communicate complex ideas both orally and in writing, one-on-one and in large groups
- Demonstrated experience with client or external stakeholder interface
- Shows patience, and humility, and is curious and accessible
- A confidence builder across a diverse group of stakeholders
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred
Salary and Benefits
The salary set for this position is $150,000. NEI provides excellent benefits including fully paid dental, disability, and basic life insurance, 75% of the cost of health insurance, four weeks of vacation, a 3% match on 403(b) contributions, and unlimited sick time. Professional development is a priority for NEI, and therefore it provides financial assistance for training and certifications.
The office is currently a hybrid work environment; the expectation is that the Vice President will spend time in the Boston office every week with some opportunity to work remotely.
Candidates must include a resume and a cover letter that describes how their qualifications and experience match the needs and mission of NEI. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
- Please click "Apply on Company Website" below to send the required documents.
Note: This executive search is being conducted by Eos Transition Partners consultant Nancy Jackson. All submissions will be acknowledged and are confidential, and any questions must be submitted to Nancy Jackson at: email@example.com.
NEI is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer and looks forward to an inclusive hiring process. It encourages a broad range of applicants, including candidates from diverse backgrounds and cultures, particularly candidates of color and LGBTQ candidates.