When you apply for this position, please say you saw this job on Green Dream Jobs!!
Founded in 1969, Environmental Advocates NY is a leading New York non-profit 501(c)(3) organization fighting for a safe climate, clean water, and healthier communities for all.
We have devoted more than 50 years of service to the people of New York and have been on the frontlines of every major environmental victory the state has enjoyed in the past half century. We seek candidates who are highly motivated to change public policy and further environmental justice.
Environmental Advocates NY seeks candidates for our Clean Water Associate position. This position is integral to our clean water program, which advocates protecting New York’s waters from source to tap. The Clean Water Associate is a full-time salaried exempt position that reports to the Director of Clean Water.
The Associate will analyze and advocate for strong water policies and organize powerful coalitions to secure clean water for all New Yorkers and to eliminate environmental injustices committed against low-income communities and communities of color. This includes, but is not limited to: reviewing, crafting, and lobbying for new laws and regulations before the Legislative and Executive branches of state government; watchdogging the enforcement and implementation of current laws and regulations; coordinating closely with partner organizations and frontline communities to advance shared priorities; and educating and engaging our members, the general public, local governments.
We seek applicants with broad knowledge of environmental policy and passion for water policy. Experience in advocacy, lobbying, mobilizing and organizing at the grassroots level, and/or New York State government is a plus.
- Serve as a member of the organization’s policy team to develop and execute strategies to achieve the organization’s water policy goals;
- Work directly with the Director of Clean Water to lead and support advocacy campaigns, including our work to safeguard streams and wetlands, upgrade crumbling water infrastructure, and eliminate exposure to toxic chemicals like PFAS and lead;
- Analyze regulations, legislation, and state budget proposals related to water policy;
- Develop factsheets, reports, memos, and other publications;
- Serve as a lobbyist before the New York State Legislature and executive agencies, as well as a spokesperson before the general public and the media;
- Work with communities and local governments impacted by water contamination crisis;
- Develop and execute communications and media strategies as well as outreach to and engagement with diverse partner organizations across the state;
- Assist in outreach to and engagement with foundations and major donors; and
- Participate in organizational Justice, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion work.
- At least two years of professional experience, desirable;
- Bachelor’s degree in environmental policy, political science, public policy, public administration, economics, or other applicable fields;
- Excellent teamwork, verbal, writing, and quantitative analysis skills;
- Ability to juggle competing priorities, multiple projects, and make decisions under pressure; and
- Strong interest in and commitment to environmental, social, and racial justice.
Note: Applicants are encouraged to apply even if experience is gained through unpaid experiences, including internships and volunteer work.
Compensation & Benefits
The salary range for this position is currently $50,000 - $55,000 annually, dependent upon qualifications and experience. We also offer health benefits, paid time off, retirement savings including an employer contribution. Environmental Advocates is an inclusive, vibrant, fast-paced work environment and values work-life balance.
Hybrid Work Environment
We are currently working in a hybrid environment. Environmental Advocates NY is based in Albany, New York and there is a preference that the Clean Water Associate work out of the Albany office as part of the hybrid work arrangement.
How to Apply
If this sounds like the job for you, please click "Apply" below send a resume, cover letter, and writing sample. Please reference “Clean Water Associate” in the subject line. Application deadline is August 5. No calls please.
We are an equal opportunity employer and it is our policy that an individual’s race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, mental or physical disability, pregnancy, sexual orientation, marital status, alienage or citizenship status, creed, genetic predisposition or carrier status, military or veteran status, domestic violence victim status or any other protected characteristic as established by federal, state or local law is not and will not be considered in any decision regarding recruiting, hiring, training, promotion, transfer, layoff, termination, classification, compensation, benefits or other employment action. We strongly encourage candidates from diverse and underrepresented backgrounds to apply.
Justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion (JEDI) is a core value for Environmental Advocates NY. We invite applicants to read our statement on racial justice here to learn more about our JEDI commitments.