When you apply for this position, please say you saw this job on Green Dream Jobs!!
The Desert Research Institute (DRI) is a recognized world leader in basic and applied environmental research. Committed to scientific excellence and integrity, DRI faculty, students who work alongside them, and staff have developed scientific knowledge and innovative technologies in research projects around the globe.
Since 1959, DRI’s research has advanced scientific knowledge on topics ranging from humans’ impact on the environment to the environment’s impact on humans. DRI’s impactful science and inspiring solutions support Nevada’s diverse economy, provide science-based educational opportunities, and inform policymakers, business leaders, and community members.
With campuses in Las Vegas and Reno, DRI serves as the non-profit research arm of the Nevada System of Higher Education.
The Desert Research Institute (DRI) Division of Atmospheric Sciences is seeking an Assistant or Associate Research Professor to initiate a research program on wildland fire process modeling connected to existing and upcoming research in understanding combustion phase (flaming vs. smoldering), fire propagation and severity, fire emissions into the atmosphere, and the pre- to post-fire change of eco-hydrologic conditions and to applications in fire and land management (wildfire and prescribed burning).
This position is located at DRI’s Northern Nevada Science Center in Reno, NV, but candidates preferring DRI’s Las Vegas, NV offices or remote locations may be considered. The research activities associated with this position will build the knowledge base related to fire sciences, an important component of research in DRI. The successful candidate will be encouraged to collaborate broadly with DRI’s faculty in all three Divisions and with external colleagues.
- Ph.D. in physics, mathematics, computer science, chemistry, atmospheric sciences, chemical engineering, forestry, or a related discipline from an accredited institution.
- 6-year minimum post-Ph.D. experience for Associate Professor position or 1-year for Assistant Professor position.
- 5-year minimum experience in physics-based fire process simulations for Associate Professor position, 3-year minimum for Assistant Professor position.
- Demonstrated expertise in modeling wildland fire processes, using highly parallel or cluster computing, including their coupling with fuel type, volume, and moisture, as well as terrain and atmospheric conditions.
- Demonstrated ability in (for Associate Professor position) or interest in (for Assistant Professor position) initiating, planning, obtaining funding, and carrying out research projects.
- Established experience contributing to program development through networking and collaborative proposal writing.
- Exhibited ability to work collaboratively with others in an interdisciplinary environment.
- Demonstrated ability to publish in the peer-reviewed scientific literature.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Proficient in presenting research results at professional meetings.
- Experience in model assimilation of heterogeneous data.
- Expertise in spatial scaling of physics-based fire process models.
- Experience in increasing the limited spatial domain of physics-based models or using them and machine learning to drive empirical models.
- Expertise in modeling heat, plume, and convective core dynamics to model fire emissions.
- Interest and experience in student and postdoc supervision and mentoring
Conditions of Employment
- Must be willing to travel for field work, client visits, and presenting at scientific conferences/meetings.
Compensation And Benefits
Minimum annual starting salary for the Assistant Research Professor is $82,000 and minimum annual starting salary for the Associate Research Professor is $100,000. Salary is commensurate with experience and education.
DRI offers a benefits package that includes health, dental, vision, and life insurance; including 15.50% retirement match, 24 annual leave days, beginning balance of 30 sick leave days, 11 paid holidays, educational benefits, and the choice of three health insurance plans that can be supplemented with flexible spending accounts or health savings accounts. Additionally, there is no state income tax and no social security deduction. This position is eligible for relocation assistance.
Please click "Apply on Company Website" below to email the following documents:
- Cover letter detailing how your experience and professional qualifications prepare you to succeed in this role at DRI.
- Current resume.
- Contact information for three professional references, to be contacted at the appropriate phase of the recruitment process based on applicant permission.
Qualified individuals are encouraged to apply immediately and provide all required attachments to receive full consideration. The successful candidate will demonstrate support for diversity, equity, and inclusiveness, as well as participate in maintaining a respectful, positive work environment.
Hiring may occur early in the recruiting process. Recruitment will close without notice when a hiring decision has been made.