When you apply for this position, please say you saw this job on Green Dream Jobs!!
The Open Space Institute (OSI) is a national leader in land protection and creating connections to nature and the outdoors for all people. Over the past five decades, OSI’s dynamic conservation team has protected more than 2.3 million at-risk, irreplaceable acres of forests, wetlands, and shorelines across the North American Eastern Seaboard.
Expanding in both scope and size, OSI employs entrepreneurial spirit, determination, and expertise to protect the land that matters most – to preserve clean drinking water; improve the public’s access to parks, public trails, and greenways; save at-risk wildlife habitat; strengthen communities; and to combat climate change and mitigate its effects.
The Communications Manager is responsible for development and execution of communication materials that maximize external awareness and understanding of mission, programs, and accomplishments of an established environmental organization specializing in land conservation.
The position is responsible for developing compelling and effective storytelling across multimedia platforms that reflect the OSI mission, develop innovative public engagement, and galvanize support for land protection.
The position engages with staff in other program areas and departments in developing materials for print and multimedia publications; social media; website; news releases and accompanying materials; and marketing documents; and plays an integral role in maintaining high organizational standards regarding written and visual materials, brand adherence, website and multimedia content, and exploring new outlets to support distinct program areas and develop and maintain unifying organizational messaging.
- Writing-intensive role to produce news releases, articles, speeches, presentations, policy statements, social media posts, etc
- Work with internal stakeholders to advance messaging and tell cohesive stories
- Produce monthly content for electronic newsletters
- Create website content and assist with website maintenance and changes
- Develop ideas and opportunities for local, regional, and national press coverage
- Track organizational data sets for use in external communications
- Track topics relevant to OSI’s conservation and mission agenda
Media management and outreach
- Work with partner organizations to ensure coordinated press outreach and follow-through on projects
- Develop and execute strategic media relations programs, including messaging
- Manage relevant social media assets and support social media outreach
- Address day-to-day media inquiries
- Foster relationships with key local, regional, and national journalists
- Support press events
- Track media placements/impressions
- Maintain media contact lists
- Stay current on media trends, including the use of social media and technology
- Manage supplemental vendor relations as needed (photographers, online press databases, website, etc.)
- Maintain press archives
- Maintain organization’s editorial and graphic standards
- Manage relationships with external contract writers and videographers
- Prepare background materials for regularly scheduled meetings of the Board of Trustees
- Write and edit fundraising materials
- Develop promotional content for website, brochures, and social media outlets
- Develop and execute initiatives to support organizational fundraising goals
- Manage electronic and print placement
- Excellent editorial writing skills
- Sound judgement and strategic thinking around public relations and media
- Ability to comprehend complex issues and incorporate them into engaging, outward-facing communication materials in audience-relevant terms
- Demonstrated ability to manage consultants and support staff on communications projects, and engage and advise senior staff as appropriate
- Ability to travel (less than 10%) is required
- Experience managing production of video, photography, and/or other multimedia content to advance and amplify messaging
- Working knowledge of video and multimedia production
- Sense of visual design and presentation aesthetics
Note: Be sure to click on application link below to see full job description.
OSI is an equal opportunity employer and is actively recruiting a diverse workforce. Land conservation benefits all people. Our mission is best advanced by the leadership and contributions of people across varying identities, including racial, gender, spiritual, and cultural. We are committed to cultivating an inclusive work environment that fosters belonging and we look for future team members who share that same value.