When you apply for this position, please say you saw this job on Green Dream Jobs!!
BSC uses design, engineering, science, and technology to build, support, and connect. At BSC, we partner with our clients to deliver creative and practical transportation, land development, and environmental solutions. Clients trust BSC to work with them to expertly guide siting, strategically navigate regulatory processes, and holistically design infrastructure to help achieve their vision.
BSC’s engineers, planners, and scientists take pride in their ability to respond nimbly to move projects forward. We solve complex challenges by applying expertise across disciplines, sharing ideas and perspectives to see a project from every side.
The purpose of our work is to improve the quality of life in and around our communities using our skills and experience to promote balance between the built and natural environment. Proudly employee owned, our people are the heart of our company.
BSC has served clients throughout New England since 1965. BSC Group’s ongoing commitment to build our firm, support our clients, and connect with our communities, resulted in our listing as an ENR Top 500 Design Firm.
Working at BSC:
BSC uses design, engineering, science, and technology to Build, Support, and Connect with our co-workers and communities. We recognize different individual passions and perspectives and strive to inspire and empower each other to create meaningful change. As a trusted advisor and neighbor, our team is personally invested in every action we take. We remain focused on diversity, sustainability, and social accountability in the services we provide to our clients.
BSC is currently seeking a Climate Resilience Engineer/Designer with 5 to 10 years’ experience. The candidate who fills this position will join a high performing team that provides clients with multi-disciplinary engineering and science-based solutions for flood risk reduction, urban heat mitigation, green infrastructure, and coastal resilience solutions, among others. Responsibilities of this position include both leading and supporting the development and technical execution of projects within BSC’s Massachusetts, NH, and CT offices. The position can be based in any of BSC’s Massachusetts, NH, or CT offices.
A successful team member must:
- Be passionate about seeking, sharing, and applying new knowledge and skills to improve individual, team, and company performance.
- Be committed to continuous upskilling and lifelong learning (seeking opportunities to work outside your comfort zone).
- Maintain a high standard for being ethical, respectful, and fair with your BSC team, clients, and communities.
- Have the courage and strength to show character. Bring your whole self to work!
The ideal candidate for this position will have technical experience in developing and designing approaches for climate resilience and adaptation. The candidate must be a licensed or registered professional engineer in MA, NH, or CT, and have the ability to acquire licenses in the other New England states. As a technical expert, the candidate will work with a staff of interrelated professionals dedicated to providing high-level expertise on a broad range of climate resilience projects including infrastructure and social vulnerability analysis, planning, community outreach and education, design, and implementation.
Note: Exceptional candidates of any experience level will be considered. Only resumes accompanied by a cover letter will be considered.
Primary Job Responsibilities
- Assist in the development of statements of qualifications and proposals for climate resilience and adaptation-related project pursuits.
- Manage and perform resilience strategy development including engineering analyses and preliminary and detailed design of flood barriers, structure flood protection, green infrastructure, living shorelines, coastal restoration, stormwater control systems, and other related resilience solutions.
- Utilize state and federal tools and methodologies to design for future climate scenarios.
- Provide technical expertise in support of community plans, outreach, and education for climate adaptation and resilience projects.
- Engage with clients and project stakeholders including participation in project presentations and written deliverables.
- Manage projects (scope, budget, schedule) and work with sub-consultants and BSC team members and assure quality control of work throughout project execution, including:
- all aspects for the design and permitting of climate resilience measures;
- analysis and design of structures and systems for flood mitigation and adaptation including use of grey and green infrastructure;
- conducting/reviewing technical analyses/calculations;
- preparation of project specifications, bid and contract documents;
- construction contract administration; and
- site inspections and reports.
- Demonstrated technical and analytical skills, including technical writing and presentation skills.
- Familiarity with industry standard analyses and design software including but not limited to AutoCAD/Civil 3D, PCSWMM, and HydroCAD.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Demonstrated teamwork and leadership skills.
- Experience working on multidisciplinary teams involving surveyors, environmental scientists, structural engineers, civil engineers, landscape architects and planners.
- Experience incorporating sea level rise, precipitation, extreme heat, and other climate change projections into project design.
- Knowledge of state and federal hazard mitigation and climate resilience programs such as FEMA’s National Flood Insurance Program, Building Resilient Infrastructure and Communities (BRIC), and Hazard Mitigation Assistance.
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree with a focus on civil, environmental, or coastal engineering or related field. Master’s degree preferred.
- Proven experience with project delivery for multiple Federal, State, and local agencies/clients, specific experience with USACE, FEMA, USGS, NOAA strongly preferred.
- Experience with or an interest in sustainable design and construction a plus.
We understand each BSC team member is unique, as are definitions of work-life balance. Some of our team members are 100% remote and some enjoy an office environment. However, the majority of BSC’s workforce embraces a hybrid model, which allows people to work from home, job sites, and other remote locations, as well as any of our office locations when necessary.
BSC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are dedicated to diverse representation on our teams, in our services, and all layers of leadership. We are focused on identifying and dismantling barriers that lead to a more diverse workforce including working diligently to expose underrepresented groups to engineering, science, and design through STEM programs, education and outreach, and industry involvement. We continue to strive to maximize benefits to the communities we impact through diversity and inclusion in strategy and design.