When you apply for this position, please say you saw this job on Green Dream Jobs!!
The United Nations Foundation advances human dignity and protect the planet through our work on transformative issues critical to humanity’s shared future. We strive to defend progress already made and unlock the collective promise of the Sustainable Development Goals across interconnected issues, including climate, health, gender equality, human rights, data and technology, peace, and humanitarian response.
The Director for Ocean and Climate leads major initiatives within the UN Foundation’s Ocean program, focusing on catalyzing action to advance ocean and climate goals, including in the maritime sector. The Director will work closely with the Senior Director for Ocean and Climate and other members of the department and staff across the UN Foundation, including on policy/advocacy issues, partnerships, fundraising, and staffing UNF leadership on these topics. The Director will also build and manage external partnerships and represent UNF on ocean/climate issues.
Location: This position is based in Washington, DC or U.S. remote.
- Lead implementation of Key aspects of UNF's ocean climate work, working closely with the Senior Director
- Contribute to strategy development for UNF’s ocean/climate portfolio
- Act as the point of contact with key partners, inside and outside the UN, on shipping and other ocean/climate related activities
- Develop and implement collaborations and partnerships with governments, civil society, the private sector, and foundations on shipping and other ocean and climate issues
- Provide research and write memos, assessments, briefing documents, talking points, and testimony to support decisions and engagement of UNF leadership
- Plan and convene meetings, workshops, and consultations to support the development of UNF’s ocean and climate efforts
- Coordinate with UNF colleagues to develop and execute UNF’s communications priorities and goals
- Represent the Foundation at outside meetings and professional gatherings
- Manage grants and contracts, including drafting and reviewing agreements and maintaining an understanding of all agreement terms and applicable flow-downs, consulting with UNF’s finance/contracts team as needed
- Maintain working knowledge of the UNF agreement process (for both contracts and grants), and when to utilize the proper templates accordingly. (As applicable to the role)
- Draft and/or review agreements and maintain an understanding of all agreement terms and applicable flow-downs, consulting with UNF’s finance/contracts team as needed. (As applicable to the role)
- Be familiar with UNF’s current policies and procedures and Salesforce database, attending trainings as necessary, in order to manage and implement grants and contracts. (As applicable to the role)
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree or foreign equivalent in climate policy, political science, economics, or related field required. Master’s Degree preferred
- Minimum 10 years of relevant work experience
- In-depth familiarity with a range of climate change, environment, and ocean issues
- Self-starter with good judgment; proven ability to drive multiple aspects of projects from inception to implementation within limited timeframe
- Creative thinker and problem solver eager to build new initiatives and partnerships
- Stress tolerance and resilience; attention to detail; and ability to work with shifting priorities
- Ability to develop, maintain and enjoy effective working relationships with people from diverse organizations or cultures
- Ability to build strong, trust-based internal and external working partnerships with internationally diverse stakeholders
- Strong skills working in coalitions and teams: collaborator, relationship builder with strong interpersonal skills
- Strong communications, research, and project and event management skills
- Willingness to travel approximately 25% of time, and potentially more if remote
- Ability to meet regular attendance/tardiness policy
Benefits & Compensation
For full-time, benefit eligible employees, UNF offers an excellent range of benefits, including:
- a choice between two health plans through UnitedHealthcare (PPO or HDHP with HSA)
- dental insurance
- vision insurance
- flexible spending accounts
- 403b retirement savings plan with a generous matching contribution
- group term and supplemental life insurance
- short-term disability
- long-term disability
- health club discounts
- commuter subsidy
- back-up care
- employee assistance program
Additionally: all benefit eligible employees have 12 paid holidays, 20 vacation days, 10 sick days, 3 personal days, and 8 weeks of family leave care.
The United Nations Foundation is proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative-action employer. The United Nations Foundation provides equal employment opportunity to all employees and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.