When you apply for this position, please say you saw this job on Green Dream Jobs!!
Washington State University is committed to improve its performance in sustainability in all areas of operations to meet the needs of current generations without impairing the ability to meet the needs of future generations.
Summary of Duties
The Sustainable Communities Program Coordinator is responsible for program management, education, community engagement, and promotion on a variety of environmental topics, with a focus on waste reduction and recycling issues.
- The Coordinator will create new environment and sustainability programs, as well as outreach opportunities and strategies as appropriate.
- This position will be the lead for the Sustainable Community Stewards program, including recruiting volunteers, facilitating their training, supervising their outreach, and collecting outcome data.
- The coordinator will be the primary team lead in all event and program promotion using traditional means and social media, focused in Snohomish County.
Note:The position is part of a small environment and community outreach team, involving both independent and collaborative work. We are looking for a creative, resourceful individual that enjoys multi-tasking!
A Bachelor’s degree in a relevant extension program discipline and two (2) years of related program experience. Any combination of relevant education and experience may be substituted for the educational requirement on a year-for-year basis.
- Bachelor’s degree in either Natural Resource / Environmental Science or Communications field or Associate degree and at least two years experience in sustainability/climate change or solid waste fields.
- Two or more years (or academic equivalent) in promotion and outreach approaches.
- Demonstrated experience encouraging the adoption of personal practices and fostering long-term volunteer engagement.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively in oral, written, and electronic forms as well as effective listening skills.
- Demonstrated ability to organize and implement all logistics for a wide diversity of events, from small tabling activities to multi-day training courses.
- Comfortable working in deadline-driven and multi-tasking environments.
- Proficient in MS Word, PowerPoint, WordPress, Outlook, and Excel as well as social media platforms, and video creation.
- Possess working knowledge of Puget Sound regional environmental issues and adult, long-term volunteer engagement.
- Valid driver’s license and ability to travel within targeted counties.
- Automobile liability insurance and reliable transportation (mileage reimbursed) are required.
- Ability to work a flexible, yet structured schedule with occasional night and weekend shifts to meet the needs of program partners and grant requirements.
- Familiarity with Puget Sound habitat types, natural resource issues, recovery strategies, and major agencies and organizations.
- Experience providing education in either a formal or informal setting.
- Ability to create high-quality graphics to support program promotion and outreach with InDesign or other programs.
- Experience in leadership and teamwork – providing and receiving direction to and as part of a team.
- Demonstrated ability in working with low-income and culturally diverse audiences on natural resource issues.
- Language proficiencies beyond English, especially Spanish.
- COVID-19 Vaccine Information: In accordance with Washington State Governor's Proclamation 21.14.2, as a condition of employment, you must be fully vaccinated or have an approved medical/religious accommodation by time of hire. People are considered fully vaccinated two weeks after receiving their last shot in a vaccine series. Full vaccination status or an approved accommodation will be verified prior to your first day of work. Should you not be fully vaccinated or have an approved medical/religious accommodation you will not be able to start employment with WSU. Information regarding vaccine verification and/or requesting a medical/religious accommodation is available at https://hrs.wsu.edu/covid-19/vax-verification/. Please contact HRS at email@example.com or 509-335-4521 if you have questions.
- Area/College: WSU Extension
- Location: SNOHOMISH COUNTY EXTENSION
- Department Name: Ag & Natural Resources
- Department Link: https://extension.wsu.edu/snohomish/
- Job Description: Title: 1132-YN - Extension Coordinator
- Employee Type: Admin. Professional (+) (Fixed Term)
- Job Family: Administrative Professional - OT Eligible
- Temporary End Date: This is a temporary one year project position. Renewal is dependent on the need for extension and/or if additional funding is secured to extend employment. Funding has been renewed successfully for several years and we expect funding to continue to be renewed.
- Monthly Salary: $4,575.00 | Commensurate upon qualifications and experience.
- FTE: 100%
- Applicants must attach the following documents to their online application: 1) resume and 2) cover letter. Applicants are required to include contact information for professional references within the application. Application materials should clearly communicate how the applicant meets all required qualifications and additional requirements.
Screening Begin Date:
- This position has been posted as Open until Filled. The screening of applicants will begin November 1, 2022..
- This position has been designated by the department to require a background check.
WSU employs only U.S. citizens and lawfully authorized non-U.S. citizens. All new employees must show employment eligibility verification as required by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.
WSU is committed to providing access and reasonable accommodation in its services, programs, activities, education and employment for individuals with disabilities. To request disability accommodation in the application process, contact Human Resource Services: 509-335-4521 (v), Washington State TDD Relay Service: Voice Callers: 1-800-833-6384; TDD Callers: 1-800-833-6388, 509-335-1259(f), or firstname.lastname@example.org.