When you apply for this position, please say you saw this job on Green Dream Jobs!!
Dewberry is a leading, market-facing professional services firm with more than 50 locations and 2,000 professionals nationwide. What sets us apart from our competitors are our people.
At Dewberry, we seek out exceptional talent and strive to deliver the highest quality of services to our clients. Whether you’re an experienced professional or a new graduate, you’ll have the chance to collaborate with the best and brightest and work on innovative and complex projects at the forefront of the industry. Our commitment to excellence stems from our personal integrity and from other defining attributes, which we call “Dewberry at Work,” that have inspired our employees to be successful for more than a half-century.
Dewberry is currently seeking a motivated Staff Environmental Scientist to join our Fairfax, VA office. This is an excellent opportunity for an enthusiastic and talented individual and includes flexible work hours and the ability for part-time telework. This full-time opening will provide the applicant with the opportunity to work as part of a team in all facets of environmental services including wetland science, regulatory permitting, and NEPA documentation in the mid-Atlantic region. Typical projects involve private, locality, state, and federal agency clients in the transportation market and environmental permitting for land development projects. The ideal candidate will have 3-5 years of experience, wetlands certification, or equivalent experience.
- Plan and conduct field delineations of Waters of the U.S., including wetlands, and conduct stream assessments
- Prepare delineation reports, functional assessments, mitigation plans, and Jurisdictional Determinations (JD) requests
- Prepare permit applications under Sections 404/401 of the Clean Water Act and NPDES Section 402
- Coordinate with state, federal, and local regulatory agencies
- Conduct vegetation and species habitat surveys
- Complete database reviews and background research to support NEPA documents and prepare NEPA documentation
- Prepare Section 7 consultations with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
- Prepare Section 106 consultations with the State Historic Preservation Officer
- Conduct permit compliance monitoring
- Prepare Phase I Environmental Site Assessments (ESA)
Required Skills & Required Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Environmental Science, Biology, Ecology, Environmental Studies, Forestry, Wildlife Biology, Geology, or a related field with 3-5 years of experience
- An environmental certification including Professional Wetland Delineator (PWD), Professional Wetland Scientist (PWS), ISA Certified Arborist, or similar certification is preferred.
- Knowledge of Virginia and Maryland environmental regulations and permitting is preferred
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Proficiency in MS Office software
- Proficiency with ArcMap/GIS, AutoCAD and MicroStation is preferred
- Desire to work in a team environment
- Jobs and locations may require overnight travel and ability to walk over uneven terrain while carrying heavy equipment
Don’t meet every single requirement? At Dewberry we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace for our employee’s. So if you’re excited about this role, but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the position description, we encourage you to apply anyways. You may just be the right candidate for this or other opportunities.
*At this time, Dewberry will not sponsor a new applicant for work authorization.
*Only recipients of an offer of employment from Dewberry, will be required to submit to a background screening which may include, but is not limited to, employment verification, educational and other credential verification, driving record check, criminal background check, and an investigative consumer report. These screenings will be conducted by Dewberry’s background vendor of choice and will be conducted in compliance with all applicable federal, state, and local law.
Dewberry is an Equal Opportunity/ Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, gender identity or sexual orientation.