When you apply for this position, please say you saw this job on Green Dream Jobs!!
As a leading combination electricity and natural gas energy company, Xcel Energy offers a comprehensive portfolio of energy-related products and services to 3.4 million electricity and 1.9 million natural gas customers across eight Western and Midwestern states. At Xcel Energy, we strive to be the preferred and trusted provider of the energy our customers need. If you’re ready to be a part of something big, we invite you to join our team.
Are you looking for an exciting job where you can put your skills and talents to work at a company you can feel proud to be a part of? Do you want a workplace that will challenge you and offer you opportunities to learn and grow? A position at Xcel Energy could be just what you’re looking for.
The Solar Reliability Engineer role is an exciting opportunity to become Xcel Energy’s leading solar-focused operations & reliability engineer. Get in on the ground floor during the design and construction phase of the upcoming Sherburne County Solar facility, Xcel Energy’s first company-owned grid-scale solar farm. Develop and apply in-demand skills to a rapidly growing renewables generation portfolio.
Technical skills in SCADA, electrical substations, inverters, and general solar photovoltaic plant equipment are desired. Position will work closely with Operations and Performance Optimization engineers to achieve top-quartile facility performance within 6 months of commercial operation. Where appropriate, employee will be asked to apply overlapping skills to Xcel Energy’s established and growing wind generation fleet. Periodic travel to existing and planned generation facilities may be required.
This is a hybrid position, either located at the Sherco Generating Station in Becker, Minnesota or the Marshall Operations Center in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Employee will be required to be at an Xcel Energy facility at least 3 days a week and up to 5 days on week depending on Plant needs. On a typical week, employees will be permitted to work remotely on Mondays and Fridays, as long as the remote location is in a state where Xcel Energy does business.
This is an entry level position designed to develop technical expertise in a particular area of specialty. Performs work that involves conventional types of plans, investigations, surveys, structures or equipment with relatively few complex features for which there are precedents. Activities are of limited scope requiring knowledge of principles and techniques commonly employed in the specific narrow area of assignments. May lead small-medium, non-critical projects and/or provide field oversight of critical projects under direction of higher level engineer or supervisor. Work is reviewed for soundness of technical judgment, overall adequacy and accuracy. As proficiency is gained, may work on portions of larger projects. Works under supervision and follows established procedures. May supervise or coordinate the work of interns, drafters, craft personnel, technicians and/or others.
Note: This listing reflects the duties of the Engineer; Staff or Senior levels will differ as more skills and/or experience will be required. The successful candidate will be placed at a level that is commensurate with the candidate's skills and experience.
- Uses and applies technical standards, principles, theories, concepts, and techniques to perform activities/assignments of limited scope.
- Supports the development of technical documentation (including but not limited to designs, testing, calculations, reports, standards, etc.) Utilizes and may assist with the development of procedures.
- Provides ongoing technical support for project activities within areas such as Operations, Maintenance, Testing/diagnostics, Regulatory, etc. May provide field engineering oversight for activities such as commissioning, testing, inspections etc. under direct supervision.
- Coordinates/leads projects or portions of projects (including phases such as research, design, equipment selection, procurement support, installation and commissioning), under the direction of a higher level engineer or supervisor.
- Under the direction of a higher level engineer/supervisor, supports bid/evaluation processes by performing basic analysis and calculations on existing documentation and materials that support the preparation of bid documents. In completing segments of technical evaluations for proposals may need to effectively communicate with other business areas of the company following appropriate processes.
- Effectively exchanges information in all formats, on matters having a wide range of importance and complexity both inter-organizationally and with outside customer/vendors.
- May coordinate the work of interns, drafters, technicians, and/or others and provides guidance and mentoring to less experienced engineers. Responsible for continuous self development of technical skills and competencies.
- May perform activities such as budgeting, estimating, forecasting, accounting, work order management, in support of engineering projects.
Entry Level Minimum Requirements
- Required Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering preferred from ABET accredited curriculum (or recognized equivalency)
- 0+ years relevant engineering experience
- Ability to demonstrate the unique technical skills and core competencies for this engineering level established & documented by the organization
- Preferred EIT/FE (Engineer in Training/Fundamentals of Engineering) preferred
Staff Level Minimum Requirements
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering preferred from ABET accredited curriculum (or recognized equivalency).
- 2+year's relevant engineering experience.
- Demonstrated broad knowledge & proficiency in specialty area, knowledge of related specialties, & general knowledge of other related disciplines.
- Ability to demonstrate the unique technical skills & core competencies for this engineering level established & documented by the organization.
- EIT/FE (Engineer in Training/Fundamentals of Engineering) strongly preferred
Senior Level Minimum Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering preferred from ABET accredited curriculum (or recognized equivalency)
- 5+ years relevant engineering experience
- EIT/FE (Engineer in Training/Fundamentals of Engineering) required
- Ability to demonstrate the unique technical skills and core competencies for this engineering level established & documented by the organization.
- PE (Professional Engineer) registration may be required depending on business need
Preferred Requirements for all Levels
- Experience with solar photovoltaic generation facilities
- Experience in both mechanical and electrical systems
- Experience with engineering economics and reliability engineering principles such as root cause and failure rate analysis
- SCADA experience
- Project management experience
- Familiarity with regulatory aspects of electrical power generation facilities
- The anticipated starting base pay for this position is: $65,000.00 to $119,999.00 per year
- This position may also be eligible for the following benefits and/or pay components: Pay - Annual Incentive Program, Medical/Pharmacy Plan, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, Dependent Care Reimbursement Account, Health Care Reimbursement Account, Health Savings Account (HSA) (if enrolled in eligible health plan), Limited-Purpose FSA (if enrolled in eligible health plan and HSA), Transportation Reimbursement Account, Short-term disability (STD), Long-term disability (LTD), Employee Assistance Program (EAP), Fitness Center Reimbursement (if enrolled in eligible health plan), Tuition reimbursement, Transit programs, Employee recognition program, Pension, 401(k) plan, Paid time off (PTO), Holidays, Personal holidays, Volunteer Paid Time Off (VPTO) (full-time employees only), Parental Leave
Note: Pay and benefit packages may vary based on position. Some employees are under collective bargaining agreements, which determine the benefits they will receive. If the information conflicts with the terms of the written plan documents governing the plan, the plan document will control. Benefit plans are subject to change and Xcel Energy has the right to end, suspend, or amend any of its plans, at any time, in whole or in part.
EEO is the Law
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Individuals with a disability who need an accommodation to apply please contact us at email@example.com.