When you apply for this position, please say you saw this job on Green Dream Jobs!!
Apex Clean Energy was founded with a singular focus: to accelerate the shift to clean energy. Through origination, construction, and operation of utility-scale wind, solar, and storage facilities, distributed energy resources, and green fuel technologies, Apex is expanding the renewable frontier across North America. Our mission-driven team of more than 250 professionals uses a data-focused approach and an unrivaled portfolio of projects to create solutions for the world’s most innovative and forward-thinking customers.
Apex strives to excel in every phase of project realization, from origination and financing to construction and asset management. Our mission-driven team seeks determined, resolute individuals who strive to innovate and go above the call of duty, and who will relentlessly do their part to help accelerate the shift to America’s clean energy future.
For more information about how Apex is building the energy company of the future, visit our website.
Apex is seeking a Senior Reliability Engineer to join the Project Management team that will be the lead for technical support for operating wind and solar farms. This position will support field operations, remotely troubleshoot electrical infrastructure and generating equipment, develop programs for turbine efficiency and reliability and provide leadership in analysis. This position requires working hands-on with relays, meters, and wind and solar SCADA systems. The candidate will run and design successful tests including regulatory compliance, be skilled in protection and control schemes, be able to troubleshoot wind turbines, solar inverters, substation and collection system issues, and lead development of analytics to optimize asset efficiency.
The right candidate will be a hands-on, hard-working team player who can jump in and support projects with a variety of issues. The position requires excellent communication skills as well as strong problem-solving capability in a multidisciplinary, technical role. A passion for renewable energy is needed to succeed in this role.
- Ensure reliable physical assets and operating systems for an operating fleet of clean energy projects
- Manage supervisory control and data acquisition (SCADA) and electrical engineering needs for operating clean energy projects
- Manage and execute the engineering requirements of NERC and ISO compliance
- Manage process development, methods, and continuous improvement activities
- Provide technical support, guidance, and coordinate all engineering activities to Field
- Operations, Remote Operations, and Commercial Asset Management teams for operating projects
- Provide subject matter expertise on SCADA and protection, relay, and control (PRC) systems for projects in all stages of design, construction, testing, and operation
- Provide project management for major reliability initiatives, projects, and systems integrations
- Perform troubleshooting and programming of RTU’s, RTAC, relays, and other PRC systems and components and develop diagnostic tools and models for electrical infrastructure and assets
- Develop control systems and tools for clean energy projects and Remote-Operations Control Center
- Interface with engineers from transmission owner, power purchasers, and regulatory bodies
- Evaluate and coordinate RCAs and corrective actions for trip and fault events and from OEMs
- Mentoring of team members for skills and personal development
- Transition technical needs from Construction to Operations for projects approaching operation
- Other duties as assigned
To succeed as a Senior Reliability Manager at Apex Clean Energy, you’ll need to excel within the following criteria:
- Master’s degree preferred, Bachelor’s degree or higher in Electrical Engineering or similar
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in an electrical energy related industry or function
- Experience with relay, control, protection, metering, and electrical components, systems and analytics
- Experience programming of RTACs (SEL/Orion), RTUs and operational and SCADA technology
- Experience designing and programing operating systems, databases, historians, and applications
- Experience managing electrical engineering and operational technology needs
- Experience with reliability engineering preferred
- Experience with the commissioning and maintenance of substations preferred
- Excellent project management, process development, and root cause analysis skills required
- Excellent communication, engineering, and organizational skills required
- Ability to work closely with cross-functional teams of internal and external experts
- Ability to project a positive image of the company and cultivate and maintain positive relationships
- Ability to travel ~20%
- Ability to work in Charlottesville, Virginia. Remote work considered for the right candidate