When you apply for this position, please say you saw this job on Green Dream Jobs!!
Environmental Traveling Companions (ETC) is a nonprofit, volunteer-based organization that makes the joy and challenge of outdoor adventures accessible to people with all abilities and under-represented youth, inspiring self-confidence, connection to nature, and community-based environmental stewardship.
Since 1972, ETC has served over 105,000 participants in our accessible Sea Kayaking, Whitewater Rafting, Cross Country Skiing and Youth LEAD Programs.
The Sea Kayak Program Associate position is a seasonal 7.5-month position. The Program Associate is responsible for supervising and training volunteers and other seasonal staff, for leading sea kayak trips on San Francisco and Tomales Bays from one to five days in length, for developing and teaching environmental education curriculum, and for providing administrative support, such as pre- and post-trip communications, agency and volunteer outreach, and trip staffing.
Duties & Responsibilities
- 50% Acting as Trip Leader on trips and trainings
- Lead and mentor a team of guides and interns to facilitate one to five day sea kayak trips in variable conditions for people with special needs, under-resourced youth, and benefit groups
- Facilitate activities focusing on group development, kayak instruction, environmental education, and human and natural history
- Provide safe, educational, and fun outdoor experiences for ETC participants
- Organize and lead environmental education trainings for new and current volunteer and paid guides
- Further develop environmental education resources and role model stewardship oriented curriculum
- 50% Providing administrative and logistical support to the Sea Kayak Program Manager
- Assisting with volunteer guide communications and outreach
- Assist with trip staffing
- Planning trip logistics with client agencies and partners
- Preparation of Trip Leader packets
- Assisting with trip evaluation and follow up
- Other administrative and logistical duties as assigned
- 2+ years sea kayak guiding experience
- Previous experience in kayak trip leader role (managing a team of guides) highly desired
- 2+ years environmental education experience highly desired, preferably with both youth and adults
- Proven ability to set a positive tone while supervising diverse groups of people, preferably in an outdoor education setting
- Enthusiasm for sharing the outdoors with people of all abilities and backgrounds
- Excellent organization, communication, and problem solving skills
- Able to work independently and comfortable working on multiple projects at a time
- Experience working with youth or special needs programs a plus
- Demonstrated office and administrative skills (MS Office, database, staff and/or volunteer management), with a high level of attention to detail
- Ability to communicate professionally over the phone with agency partners and guides
- Have access to a vehicle to transport self to San Francisco, CA, Sausalito, CA, and Inverness, CA for office work and trips
- CPR and First Aid Certified (WFA or WFR strongly preferred)
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds
- Participation in ETC’s Sea Kayak Guide School in April 2022
- Participation in ETC’s Inclusion Training May 14-15, 2022
- Individual training from Sea Kayak Program Manager
- Ongoing skills development throughout employment
Term & Commitment
- April 1, 2022 to November 15, 2022
- Twenty-two days per month. The Program Associate will be asked to work on weekday and weekend days and on overnight trips.
- Up to two weeks of unpaid time off can be scheduled during the season and should coincide with program needs
- Sea Kayak Program Manager
- Monthly salary DOE. If more or less than 22 days are worked in a month, pay will be pro-rated accordingly.
- The ability to check out ETC sea kayak equipment for personal use (subject to ETC boat use policy)
- Access to ETC’s pro purchase programs with various outdoor equipment manufacturers
How to Apply
- Thank you for your interest! Please click "Apply" below to email a cover letter and resume with references via email to Ian Fox, Sea Kayak Program Manager: Position is open until filled.
- Email: email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you have any questions about the position, please email email@example.com or call 415-474-7662 x16.
ETC is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity of cultures, perspectives, and lived experiences. We strongly encourage people of color and individuals identifying as LGBTQI to apply for this position.