When you apply for this position, please say you saw this job on Green Dream Jobs!!
About Mohonk Preserve:
Located in the beautiful Hudson River Valley, Mohonk Preserve is New York’s largest nonprofit nature preserve. Our mission is to protect the northern Shawangunk Ridge and inspire people to care for, enjoy, and explore the natural world. We manage over 8,000 acres of mountain cliffs, forests, fields, and streams through four integrated programs – Conservation, Education, Stewardship, and Visitor Experience – and welcome over 300,000 members and visitors each year who come to hike, run, rock climb, boulder, bike, cross-country ski, snowshoe, and enjoy and experience nature.
Based in a vibrant university community, Mohonk Preserve offers a great working environment in one of New York’s greenest counties, with all-season recreation, access to Preserve lands, a dynamic, committed team of conservation professionals, and long legacy of conducting ecological research and environmental education. The Preserve is also the home of one of America’s premier rock-climbing destinations.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Mohonk Preserve is an Equal Opportunity Employer dedicated to creating an inclusive culture where employees from diverse backgrounds can thrive and support our mission. Successful candidates will be equity-minded and committed to furthering our Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, Justice (DEIJ) goals. Mohonk Preserve encourages applications from women, minorities and/or other underrepresented groups.
About the Position:
Dr. Vincent and Lois Schaefer established the Schaefer Internship “to introduce students to the fascination and almost infinite variety of the natural world by providing the setting, exposure to dedicated scientists, and opportunity to sample a wide variety of nature study.”
This internship is within the Conservation & Education department, specifically focused on Conservation Science, and is ~8-9 weeks (~June-August, flexible start date).
Conservation & Education staff carry out a broad program of ecological research projects and educational programs including long-term studies on:
- Natural history of plants and animals
- Water quality and limnology
- Breeding bird communities
The 2024 Schaefer Research Internship at the Daniel Smiley Research Center provides an opportunity to work with Preserve research staff, scientists, and land managers on:
- Salamander and Bird community assemblage within hemlock-northern hardwood forest
- Soil & Microclimate assessment
- Invasive species (insect and plant) surveys
- Assessing vegetation impact from white-tailed deer browse
- Detailed data collection & management
The selected intern will develop an individualized research project, complete a written report, and present their findings in an oral presentation at the end of the summer.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Students currently enrolled in their sophomore or junior years of college (or equivalent credit hours) who are majoring in Biology, Ecology, Geology, Environmental Studies/Science, or related natural science majors.
- Must be able to provide personal gear for the day (rain gear, appropriate clothing, hiking boots).
- Capable (and enthusiastic!) to occasionally walk several miles in a given day carrying a backpack over uneven terrain in potentially adverse field conditions (biting insects, rain, heat, humidity, etc.)
Note: This job announcement is not intended to represent a complete, comprehensive list of all duties and responsibilities that may be required in this position. There may be unplanned activities and other duties assigned.
- Frequently uses a computer keyboard, reads, writes
- Frequently works outdoors
- Requires standing, walking, hiking, stooping, bending, kneeling, crouching, carrying equipment
- Occasional events indoors or outdoors outside standard office hours and in other locations around the Preserve
Full time (40 hours per week), Seasonal, Temporary
$15.00/hour for a maximum of 400 hours; on-site housing available
Mohonk Preserve’s main offices are located at our Visitor Center in Gardiner, NY. This position will be based out of the Preserve’s Daniel Smiley Research Center (DSRC) on the grounds of the Mohonk Mountain House resort. Mohonk Preserve offers hybrid work schedules at this time – coordinated with their supervisor and depending on the job, staff may be able to split time working remotely, as well as in the office and in-person on the land. Generally standard working hours, with some flexibility, to be coordinated with supervisor.
Mohonk Preserve is a smoke-free campus.
- Direct Payroll Deposit
- Mohonk Preserve membership for duration of internship
- Access to lands and some activities of Mohonk Mountain House resort
Eligibility for certain benefits is dependent upon a variety of factors including employment status.
How to Apply:
Applications accepted via e-mail only. Email the following as a single pdf to email@example.com by Thursday, February 22, 2024:
- A cover letter that clearly states your reasons for pursuing this internship and what you hope to gain toward achieving your career goals
- Your current resume
- Your current transcript (unofficial is OK)
- Include the applicant’s last name in the file name of your application.
- Include “Schaefer Research Internship” in the subject line of your email.
- Arrange to have two letters of recommendation emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org by the application deadline.
- Only on-time, complete applications, which includes reference letters, will be considered.
- The anticipated start date of this position is early June 2024.
- No phone calls please
- More information about Mohonk Preserve can be found at https://www.mohonkpreserve.org/