When you apply for this position, please say you saw this job on Green Dream Jobs!!
Founded in 1969, Environmental Advocates NY is a leading New York non-profit 501(c)(3) organization fighting for a safe climate, clean water, and healthier communities for all. We have devoted more than 50 years of service to the people of New York and have been on the frontlines of every major environmental victory the state has enjoyed.
Environmental Advocates NY seeks a Legislative and Communities Associate. The Legislative and Communities Associate is a full-time, exempt, position that reports to the Deputy Director and leads our legislative tracking and management work and supports our healthy communities policy team. We seek candidates who are highly motivated to secure stronger environmental protections for all New Yorkers and further environmental justice.
We strongly encourage candidates from diverse and underrepresented backgrounds to apply. Justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion (JEDI) is a core value for Environmental Advocates NY. We invite applicants to read our statement on racial justice here to learn more about our JEDI commitments.
The Legislative and Communities Associate will support the Deputy Director in advancing our healthy communities policy priorities, including but not limited to addressing New York’s solid waste and plastic pollution crisis, eliminating toxic chemicals from our homes and food, and advancing our advocacy and education around the Environmental Rights in the State Constitution. The associate will lead our legislative tracking and bill memo management work.
A successful candidate will have broad knowledge of environmental policy and passion for reducing pollution in environmental justice communities and experience in the New York legislative process.
Specific Communities Policy Responsibilities
- Serve as a member of the organization’s policy team to develop and execute strategies to achieve the organization’s healthy communities policy goals;
- Work directly with the Deputy Director to lead and support advocacy campaigns;
- Analyze regulations, legislation, and state budget proposals related to healthy communities' goals;
- Develop factsheets, reports, memos, and other publications;
- Serve as a lobbyist before the New York State Legislature and executive agencies, as well as a spokesperson before the general public and the media;
- Educate communities and local governments about our policy priorities;
- Participate in organizational Justice, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion work.
Specific Legislative Responsibilities:
- Lead the organization’s weekly legislative memo preparation and distribution process;
- Track environmental legislation before the New York State Legislature; and keep detailed records of legislator’s voting records; and
- Stay up-to-date on legislative developments that influence policy areas.
- At least two years of professional experience, desirable;
- Bachelor’s degree in environmental policy, political science, public policy, public administration, economics, or other applicable fields;
- Excellent teamwork, verbal, writing, and quantitative analysis skills;
- Ability to juggle competing priorities, multiple projects, and make decisions under pressure; and
- Strong interest in and commitment to environmental, social, and racial justice.
Note: Applicants are encouraged to apply even if experience has been gained through unpaid experiences, including internships and volunteer work.
Compensation & Benefits
The salary range for this position is currently $50,000 - $55,000 annually, dependent upon qualifications and experience. We also offer health benefits, paid time off, retirement savings including an employer contribution. Environmental Advocates NY is an inclusive, vibrant, fast-paced work environment and values work-life balance.
Environmental Advocates NY is based in Albany, New York with a few staff based out of New York City. All staff are offered flexible work arrangements with days remote and days in the office. This is an Albany-based position, and the successful applicant would be expected to work out of the Albany office as part of the organization’s hybrid work model.
How to Apply
If this sounds like the job for you and Environmental Advocates NY seems like the place where you’d like to work, then please click "Apply" below to email a resume and cover letter. Please reference “Legislative and Communities Associate” in the subject line.
- Application deadline is Nov 1st.
We are an equal opportunity employer and it is our policy that an individual’s race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, mental or physical disability, pregnancy, sexual orientation, marital status, alienage or citizenship status, creed, genetic predisposition or carrier status, military or veteran status, domestic violence victim status or any other protected characteristic as established by federal, state or local law is not and will not be considered in any decision regarding recruiting, hiring, training, promotion, transfer, layoff, termination, classification, compensation, benefits or other employment action. We strongly encourage candidates from diverse and underrepresented backgrounds to apply.