When you apply for this position, please say you saw this job on Green Dream Jobs!!
The Methow Valley Citizens Council has a distinguished history of advocating for progressive land use and environmental values in the Methow Valley and Okanogan County since 1976. We launched a tradition of citizen activism which is alive and well today in this uniquely beautiful part of Washington State.
The healthy rural character of the Methow Valley, with low density development, considerable open space, clean air and water, has been preserved in significant part through our advocacy on land use planning, air quality, water quality and many other issues over the past 45 years. Today, the Citizens Council is the region’s “go-to” advocacy group on a variety of topics that affect the character of the region – from public land issues like a potential copper mine to protecting our shorelines and water resources through land use planning.
As an environmental organization, we know we cannot achieve environmental justice without racial, social, and economic justice. MVCC is committed to serving the entire Okanogan region, being inclusive of the diversity that is here now and as it evolves going forward. MVCC is committed to ensuring that all people have the right to breathe clean air, live free of dangerous levels of toxic pollution, have access to the natural world, and share the benefits of a prosperous and vibrant clean economy.
Job Description for Deputy Director Position
Oversee the success of MVCC’s strategic plan and support program staff
- Work with the Board of Directors and Executive Director to carry out MVCC’s long range and annual plans and ensure their ongoing evaluation.
- Evaluate ideas for new programs and organizational direction and recommend appropriate action.
- Mentor and support staff in programs, communications, outreach, and operations to ensure they have what they need to succeed. Help staff with projects as needed.
- Assist the General Manager in developing MVCC’s approach to human resources – including, compensation and benefits, performance evaluation, training, recruiting and professional development.
- Handle the responsibilities of the Executive Director when she is away.
- Represent MVCC at public events as necessary.
Develop and implement robust fundraising strategies and systems
- Collaborate with the Board of Directors and Executive Director to create a fundraising plan which increases revenues to support our mission and community goals.
- Develop and manage the annual fundraising budget; evaluate fundraising activities to ensure that goals are achieved.
- Grow our major gifts and planned giving programs including identification, cultivation and solicitation of donors which reflect the diversity of our region.
- Work with the Engagement Coordinator to execute a plan for membership expansion and retention, with an emphasis on youth outreach.
- Identify grant opportunities and coordinate grant writing with the other staff.
- Oversee special fundraising and friend-raising events.
- Monitor trends in our community and region and adapt fundraising strategies as necessary.
Promote the Methow Valley Citizens Council and Support Other Community Efforts and Organizations
- Work in concert with the Communications Manager to develop a comprehensive communication plan for MVCC to educate the public, elevate our visibility and generate financial support.
- Coordinate the design, printing and distribution of marketing and communication materials for development efforts.
- Build relationships with community stakeholders to advance MVCC’s program and fundraising goals.
- Support other community organizations with compatible goals to advance a collaborative approach to public education and fundraising.
The Deputy Director should demonstrate competence in the following areas:
- Creativity: Innovate to build MVCC’s mission success and organizational well-being.
Ethical Behavior: Model behavior in keeping with MVCC’s value and culture.
- Relationship Building: Be out in the community and sustain positive working relationships.
Communication Skills: Speak, listen and write with a positive attitude. Show concern for people and community, demonstrate presence, self-confidence and a sense of humor and gratitude.
- Teamwork: Set goals cooperatively, resolve problems, and make decisions that enhance MVCC’s effectiveness.
- Leadership: Motivate staff, board members and other volunteers to achieve results.
- Decision-making: Assess situations and make clear and timely decisions, acting confidently with minimal supervision within the scope of authority.
- Organizational Skills: Exhibit “follow through” on tasks and goals.
- Familiarity with and demonstrated passion for the values of the Methow Valley Citizens Council
- Bachelor’s degree (Relevant experience can be substituted for education requirements)
- Proven project management skills
- Working understanding of Microsoft Office 365 and social media tools
- Sound computer skills including word processing and database management
- Confidence in raising funds and communicating with major donors
- 5 years minimum experience in a leadership position in the field of conservation advocacy including program development and fundraising, or equivalent skills and experience with a proven track record of success
- Previous supervisory experience preferred.
Please click "Apply" below to email resume and cover letter. Position is open until filled, priority given to applications received before September 15th.