When you apply for this position, please say you saw this job on Green Dream Jobs!!
Appalachian Headwaters is a nonprofit organization focused ecology and environmental education in West Virginia. Our programs include environmental summer camps, community science, a natural beekeeping cooperative, ecological restoration, and internship programs for high school and college students. We are developing a 160-acre environmental education center (the site of the day camp) in Greenbrier County, just outside of Lewisburg, West Virginia.
The Day Camp Director & Community Programs Coordinator will help develop and run a day camp and support our summer internships and year-round community and environmental education programming. This will involve creating a new day camp for the summer of 2024, as well as expanding high school and college internships. The ten-week long day camp will, like our other programs, focus on ecology, environmental education (as well as traditional camp activities like archery, low ropes, kickball, art, yoga, etc.). We would also like to several one- or two-night outings for day campers and others during the year.
We work with a wide range of community and environmental groups. The person who fills this position will work with our Education Director on a daily basis and would help to expand community relationships, develop new ecology and environmental programming, and support Headwaters’ Summer Fellows program, which sponsors ecologists and others (e.g. writers, artists, historians) to live on-site and help with our programs (including summer internships and the day camp).
The Coordinator will work from Greenbrier County. We also have a summer camp facility in Summers County, in the big bend of the Greenbrier River, which may also be used for programs. We operate an overnight summer camp (Camp Waldo) at that facility, but the Day Camp Director will not be responsible for Camp Waldo.
The Community Programs Coordinator will be responsible for:
- Assisting in establishing and running day-today operations at a new summer day camp program
- Working with and establishing relationships with community and environmental groups,
- Helping to recruit and work with, counselors, high school and college interns,
- Working with summer Fellows and year-round staff to coordinate camps and off-season environmental educational programming,
- Supporting Headwaters’ community education programs, including community science,
- Other activities that fit the Coordinator’s talents and the organization’s needs.
- At least two year’s experience in leadership role in a camp program;
- Happy working with and leading people;
- Enjoy working outdoors and with children and high-school and college students.
- Interest in and some knowledge of Appalachian ecology;
- Bachelor’s degree or master’s degree;
- Compatible with our program’s environmental mission.
- Competitive full-time salary ($45-56K) with excellent benefits, including 10% retirement match and fully paid medical insurance.
- Low cost of living community (we do not provide housing).
- Please click "Apply" below to email a resume and cover letter.
- Start date: ASAP. Position open until filled.