When you apply for this position, please say you saw this job on Green Dream Jobs!!
Riverkeeper is New York’s premier water quality advocate. Our mission is to protect the environmental, recreational and commercial integrity of the Hudson River and its tributaries, and safeguard the drinking water of millions of New York City and Hudson Valley residents.
With an annual operating budget of $4.9 million, Riverkeeper is a mid-sized not-for-profit operating in the Hudson Valley. Riverkeeper is seeking a proactive and self-motivated Communications Manager to amplify our efforts with content and outreach that draws in new audiences and strengthens relationships with existing supporters. This is an exciting opportunity to join a dynamic organization experiencing significant growth. For more information, visit www.riverkeeper.org.
The Communications Manager will help expand Riverkeeper’s audience and increase engagement by innovatively harnessing best practices for digital content, public relations, and social media. Reporting to the Director of Communications and Marketing, they will write and edit assets that expand the appeal and deepen public understanding of the organization; and manage the day-to-day functioning of our public relations and social media programs. This is a hands-on role that interfaces and collaborates with subject matter experts across the organization, buoying Riverkeeper’s environmental campaigns and development efforts.
- TITLE: Communications Manager
- REPORTS TO: Director, Communications and Marketing
- LOCATION: Ossining, NY (hybrid schedule: Tuesdays and Thursdays, additional days as
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
(This is not an exhaustive list of all job duties, responsibilities, and requirements.)
- Draft and edit compelling content (i.e. blogs, eblasts, press releases, social media, SEO-
optimized web copy, annual Impact Report) that supports advocacy and membership goals
- Conduct and track press outreach
- Manage blog calendar
- Curate social media content and schedule posts, shares, and stories to present a cohesive
and compelling organizational identity
- Be the voice of the organization in response to emails, online comments, and social media
mentions / direct messages
- Organize in-person and virtual press events
- Serve as an active team member on select environmental campaigns, providing input on
effective messaging and strategies to reach target audiences and drive engagement
- Analyze metrics to improve effectiveness of Communications and Marketing efforts
- Track content on Riverkeeper.org and update as needed to ensure all online content is up-
- Liaise with graphic design, production, and software vendors and consultants
- Actively participate in our website redesign process (which kicks off in January), contributing
to content migration
EXPERIENCE & COMPETENCIES
Research shows that women and people from under-represented groups often apply to jobs only if they meet 100% of the qualifications. Please know that no one ever meets 100% of the qualifications. If much of this describes you, we encourage you to apply.
This might be the right next role for you if you have 3-5 years of experience in Communications,
Public Relations, or Marketing at a nonprofit, agency, or startup and would likely be described
- Capable of translating complex topics into conversational copy
- A proactive problem solver, eager to find solutions and bring out the best in others
- Deeply familiar with Communications and Marketing best practices (including press
outreach, social media, and SEO)
- A skillful writer with a clear sense of what works for different audiences and formats
- Possessing an eye for design
- A natural project manager, driven to deliver on or ahead of deadline
- Comfortable with various digital platforms such as WordPress, Hootsuite, Adobe, Canva,
Monday.com, Mailchimp, EveryAction, and G Suite
- Able to prioritize multiple projects concurrently
- Passionate about Riverkeeper’s mission to protect and restore the Hudson River
OTHER EMPLOYMENT DETAILS
- HOURS: This exempt position is full time (40 hours/week). It requires flexibility to work some evenings and weekends.
- COMPENSATION: Base salary range: $60,000 – $70,000 annualized, commensurate with experience.
- BENEFITS: Riverkeeper offers healthcare, dental and vision, life and disability coverage, retirement savings plan match, annual $500 professional development stipend, Paid Time Off (vacation, sick, personal days, parental leave, holidays, summer Fridays), and other benefits; office is closed between Christmas and New Year’s Day holidays.
- NOTE: All employees must be fully vaccinated for Covid-19.
HOW TO APPLY
Please click "Apply" below to email a cover letter and resume, and type ‘Communications Manager’ in the subject line. The position will remain open until filled.