When you apply for this position, please say you saw this job on Green Dream Jobs!!
Plenty is on a mission to make fresh, pesticide-free fruits and vegetables more accessible to everyone. Our cutting-edge indoor, vertical farms produce extraordinary yields using a fraction of the land and water outdoor farms need. Nutrient-rich, mouth-watering and locally grown, our crops help people, communities and our planet to be healthier and more resilient.
The people and teams who make up Plenty are at the core of how we do this. We are a collaborative and innovative bunch. We are passionate about our contributions to Plenty, the communities around us and our planet, but never take ourselves too seriously. We’re down to Earth, we grow together, and we always find a way. Most importantly, we’re here to improve the lives of plants, people and our planet.
About the role
Plenty is looking for a Communications Director to join our team. The Commercial Team leads the outward facing aspects of Plenty, including Sales, Marketing, and Communications.
Seven billion people eat everyday. Another one billion people work to put food on our plates. And yet, the existing system does not serve us very well. The way we make food today is destroying the planet, damaging our health and tremendously brittle in the face of climate change. Plenty has an opportunity to change all that. We grow nutritious fruits and vegetables in revolutionary indoor, vertical farms that are designed to use substantially less water and land and use zero pesticides.
Over the last decade, there has been a surge of interest in the food system and the ways in which technology can improve it. Indoor vertical farming is one of the latest and most important frontiers. Plenty has spent the last 8 years investing in a full stack proprietary technology system that allows us to deliver meaningfully better products. We are now bringing that technology to market at production scale in the form of the country’s largest vertical farm in Compton, CA. Simultaneously, we are launching the Plenty brand at scale for the very first time.
As the Communications Director, you will lead our Communications function and be a key Commercial leader at the company. You will report directly to the SVP of Commercial.
What you'll do
- Lead the company’s public relations and corporate communication strategy
- Strive to have key company, brand and marketing messages reflected in all corporate communication channels
- Prevent, and if not possible, directly address communications crises
- Proactively develop crisis management plans and processes
- Work directly with the CEO and Co-Founder to build their story with the press, investors and thought leaders
- Manage the engagement with our PR Agency including execution and KPI performance
- Work closely with the Marketing and Sales teams to ensure consistent delivery of messages and joint objectives are met
- Work cross-functionally throughout the organization to ensure that Communications’ efforts are aligned with the company mission, values and business objectives and supported by all groups
What you’ll bring to the table
- Experience supporting companies that have a mission and a point of view - and aren’t afraid to talk about it
- Willingness to fight for the truth when it’s called for, even when it’s uncomfortable
- Judgment to know the best way to land our messages
- Experience with and understanding of the communications toolkit - and a willingness to discard the parts that don’t serve our mission or business
- Experience working with top-tier media in tough, controversial environments
- Passion for the impact that the food and agriculture system can have on the planet and people and animals that live on it and a belief in the solutions that Plenty is pursuing
- Experience working in (and love for) dynamic business environments where priorities are constantly changing as new information is learned, teams are small and scrappy and budgets are tight.
- Experience amplifying brand presence across multiple channels including traditional media, owned website, social and internal communications
- Ability to ensure consistent brand messaging across all public-facing comms and activities
- Set objectives and KPIs for PR team and deliver transparent reporting to executive team
- Experience in event planning and management
- 10+ years of communications / PR experience
What we can offer
- Compensation: we’ll pay you a competitive salary, give you a stake in the company via equity and contribute toward your 401K
- Health & well-being: we’ll invest in your physical and mental well-being with comprehensive medical, dental, & vision benefits, in-office gyms, and an Employee Assistance Program to help with mental health, financial & legal matters
- Food: in-office lunches, snacks and access to our leafy greens & new produce in development -- are you up for a side gig as a taste tester?
- Grow together: learning & development opportunities including unlimited access to our Upstart University platform, LinkedIn Learning, lunch & learns, training certifications, and more
- Equipment: we’ll provide you with the equipment you need to be successful, including $75/month toward your phone bill and $250 every 2 years to upgrade your phone
- Paid time off: we know you’ll do your best if you’re taking time to recharge, so we don’t cap the amount of days you can take off per year in addition to the paid holidays we observe
- Parental leave: 12 weeks off for all new parents - fully paid so you can focus your energy on your newest addition
Food safety requirements
- Comply with all Plant, State and Federal OSHA, EPA, FDA, HACCP, and SQF regulations
- All employees must show proof of COVID vaccination before starting work, other than in limited circumstances where the law requires an exception