When you apply for this position, please say you saw this job on Green Dream Jobs!!
~ Founded in 1871 as a land grant institution, the University of Arkansas is classified by the Carnegie Foundation among the top two percent of universities in the nation with the highest level of research activity. Ten colleges and schools serve more than 26,700 students with more than 200 academic programs. University of Arkansas students earn nationally competitive awards at an impressive rate and represent 50 states and more than 120 countries. ~
Located in the stunning Ozark Mountains of Northwest Arkansas, Fayetteville is home to the University of Arkansas campus, known for its spectacular views and ample green spaces. Fayetteville is considered one of the country’s finest college towns, and the surrounding northwest Arkansas region is regularly ranked one of the best places to live in the U.S. Some of the nation’s best outdoor amenities and most spectacular hiking trails are within a short drive of campus.
As an employer, the University of Arkansas offers a vibrant work environment and a workplace culture that promotes a healthy work-life balance. The benefits package includes university contributions to health, dental, life and disability insurance, tuition waivers for employees and their families, 12 official holidays, immediate leave accrual, and a choice of retirement programs with university contributions ranging from 5 to 10% of employee salary.
About the College:
The J. William Fulbright College of Arts and Sciences is the largest and most academically diverse unit on campus with 19 departments and 43 academic programs and research centers. The college provides the core curriculum for all University of Arkansas students and is named for J. William Fulbright, former university president and longtime U.S. senator.
The University of Arkansas is committed to provide an educational and work environment in which thought, creativity, and growth are stimulated, and in which individuals are free to realize their full potential. The J. W. Fulbright College of Arts and Sciences promotes these ideals and welcomes applicants who foster an inclusive environment through an open exchange of voices and ideas from populations of diverse backgrounds.
About the Department:
The Department of Biological Sciences emphasizes cell and molecular biology, ecology and evolutionary biology. Biological sciences maintains one of the largest undergraduate majors in the university. Special topics courses, interdisciplinary graduate programs and undergraduate research opportunities expose students to a rigorous background in basic and advanced biology and allow for specialized coursework.
The University of Arkansas is currently seeking a Post Doctoral Fellow, Biological Sciences.
- The Post Doctoral Fellow will work on a project examining flow-ecology relationships and environmental flows assessment for the Ozark-Ouachita Interior Highlands and West Gulf Coastal Plains.
- There are previously classified stream types within Arkansas and the surrounding region based on hydrology and geomorphology.
- The current objective is to develop hydrology-ecological relationships within flow classes using data and other existing hydrologic and biological databases.
- Important products of this work will be regional flow-ecology relationships that will form the scientific framework for setting environmental flow standards and understanding impacts of land use and climate change.
- These flow-ecology relationships will help determine environmental flow needs in the Ozark-Ouachita Interior Highlands and the West Gulf Coastal Plains and will provide the basis for conservation of numerous aquatic species.
- This project will involve extensive work with GIS and quantitative analysis to model flow-ecology relationships and may also involve field work in the Interior Highlands and lab experiments.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Regular, reliable, and non-disruptive attendance is an essential job duty, as is the ability to create and maintain collegial, harmonious working relationships with others.
Please ensure that all relevant application materials include details addressing the minimum qualifications. Applicants not meeting the minimum qualifications will be disqualified from consideration.
- Ph.D. in ecology, fisheries, biology, or a related field conferred by the start of employment
- Demonstrated strong quantitative skills
- Demonstrated knowledge of GIS (Geographic Information System)
- Research experience with fish, invertebrates and/or streams
- Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSAs)
- Ability to work in a professional manner
- Ability to work independently and in a research team
- Ability to stay motivated