When you apply for this position, please say you saw this job on Green Dream Jobs!!
Miami Waterkeeper (MWK) is an award-winning non-profit organization dedicated to protecting Biscayne Bay and the surrounding watershed. Launched in 2010, MWK has become a leading advocate for clean water, inspiring a movement of empowered citizens dedicated to achieving swimmable, drinkable, fishable water.
Addressing issues on multiple fronts, we use community outreach, scientific research, and civic and legal action to advance our mission. Miami Waterkeeper is a fast-paced and dynamic work environment. We are a small and hard-working team that is mission-driven and passionate about our clean water future.
Miami Waterkeeper is seeking an individual with legal and policy experience in the environmental field. An ideal candidate for the Senior Environmental Attorney role will have a deep passion for our mission and will be highly-skilled, detail-oriented, independent, exceptionally organized, and self-motivated. This person will be able to guide overall mission-oriented strategy, including litigation and legislation. This candidate can manage multiple projects simultaneously, pivot quickly, and will be able to work closely across teams.
Our Environmental Attorney will feel comfortable making policy and legal recommendations to the Executive Director and Waterkeeper and working with outside counsel as well as our policy team. This individual will have an in-depth understanding of the Clean Water Act, Endangered Species Act, NEPA, rulemakings, and related regulations. This role will also work closely with our team to develop mission-specific advocacy campaigns.
- Develop new cases strategically; develop legal theories; draft pleadings and briefs; manage new and existing cases
- Draft legal memos
- Identify, research, brief, and litigate cases from beginning to end, performing all aspects of litigation
- Develop and maintain partnerships with clients, allies, and coalition partners in litigation and other advocacy
- Represent Miami Waterkeeper in legal challenges
- Manage relationships with co-counsel, clients, and coalition partners
- Track ongoing case law
- Develop policy strategy for City, County, State, and Federal environmental issues focused on clean water, habitat protection, sea level rise
- Analyze legislation proposed
- Craft campaigns to support or oppose legislation
- Draft legislation to propose environmental protections
- Develop government relationships with elected officials and/or staff
- Collaborate with the multidisciplinary team to create strategy and project management
- Drafts advocacy and policy comment letters on legislation and rulemaking
- Prepares messaging for litigation/policy for outreach and media
- Prepares talking points and messaging for campaigns and programs
- Researches and creates technical analyses and documents in support of current and potential policy
- Designs, drafts, and manages submissions of letters, reports, and supporting materials
- Serves as a senior technical and policy expert, advocate, and, on occasion, spokesperson
- Coordinates with science and outreach teams on new campaigns and programs
- Supervises legal interns and/or junior attorneys
- Coordinates with Waterkeepers Florida on statewide issues
- Oversees legal compliance for the organization, including liability and contract reviews and other general counsel-type roles (as needed)
- At least 3 years of experience with environmental law specifically
- Law school graduate admitted to, or qualified and willing to apply for admission to, the Florida Bar
- Excellent research, analytical, writing, and communication skills
- Strong work ethic and ability to work in a dynamic, fast-paced environment
- Strong desire to advocate for public interest environmental campaigns
- Ability to work well in a team-oriented setting
- Salary range is $85,000-$115,000.
Riverkeeper is an AA/EEO employer. Riverkeeper is committed to attracting, developing, and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding, and enables each of us to realize our potential. Our work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, and all other classifications protected by law. People from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.