When you apply for this position, please say you saw this job on Green Dream Jobs!!
Harvard University has a long commitment to confronting the global challenges of climate change and sustainable development through its research, teaching, and institutional action. The University-wide Office for Sustainability (OFS), created in 2008, plays a pivotal role in bringing together students, faculty, and staff to use the campus as a living laboratory for piloting and proving solutions that address intergenerational well-being and lead to a sustainable future. Our efforts are driven by a University-wide Sustainability Plan and climate goals to be fossil fuel-free by 2050 and fossil fuel-neutral by 2026.
This is an exciting opportunity to join an experienced and dedicated team working to advance solutions to global and local sustainability challenges using Harvard’s campus as a testbed to pilot and scale change. OFS is a fast-paced, dynamic, and evolving organization that looks for talented, experienced individuals who thrive in this environment.
Harvard University views equity, diversity, inclusion, and belonging as the pathway to achieving inclusive excellence and fostering a campus culture where everyone can thrive. We strive to create a community that draws upon the widest possible pool of talent embracing individuals from varied backgrounds, cultures, races, identities, life experiences, perspectives, beliefs, and values.
The Sustainability Project Manager will focus on planning and project management of University-wide sustainability priorities and programs. The manager will staff key stakeholder groups including the faculty-led Presidential Committee on Sustainability (PCS) and related Subcommittees. The Sustainability Project Manager will also focus on program support and management related to the Sustainability Action Plan, including driving updates to Sustainability Operational Standards and guidance for Schools/units. To accomplish this, they will need to develop and execute comprehensive project plans, propose innovative ideas, and strengthen relationships with a wide range of internal and external stakeholders.
- Project manage subcommittees of the Presidential Committee on Sustainability (PCS), related work products and other related governance groups/programs.
- Prepare clear workplans, timelines, agendas and materials as needed.
- Prepare initial drafts of briefing materials and communications to support programmatic needs.
- Scope and support the development of pilot projects and Living Lab opportunities and priorities to advance Harvard’s sustainability vision, with a focus on supply chain/Scope 3 emissions (e.g., embodied carbon, food emissions).
- Project manage parts of the University-wide Sustainability Priorities including Supply Chain/Scope 3 emissions reduction priorities, including managing various sustainability working groups and initiatives.
- Develop and manage project plans from conception through implementation, in collaboration with OFS Senior Team and key stakeholders.
- Research, draft, edit, and create content on sustainability-related topics for diverse audiences in a variety of formats.
- Plan and staff working group meetings and related events.
- Project manage implementation related to the Sustainability Action Plan, including driving updates to Sustainability Operational Standards and creating clear guidance and supporting materials for Schools/units to meet Standards.
- Perform administrative duties necessary to fulfill above responsibilities.
- Manage project budgets, timelines, deliverables, and reporting.
- Contribute to OFS event planning and storytelling.
- Manage student interns, part-time employees, and/or consultants, as needed.
- Perform other duties and work on special projects, as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience is required.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in project management, project plan development and implementation, and stakeholder engagement
- Demonstrated working knowledge of sustainability industry trends
- Excellent relationship-building and interpersonal skills; comfort and ability to engage and build coalitions with diverse audiences
- Excellent communication, writing, and presentation skills for a variety of audiences
- Demonstrated commitment to valuing diversity, equity and contributing to an inclusive work and learning environment
- Proven ability to think critically and solve problems
- High degree of flexibility, adaptability, and general ability to respond to emerging opportunities and barriers in a constantly changing environment
- Proven ability to conduct research and analysis on various topics and produce reliable metrics and data
- Experience working with faculty and students preferred
- Requires occasional work outside of normal business hours
Additional Qualifications and Skills / Technology Skills Required:
- Extensive experience with MS PowerPoint, Excel, and Word.
- An ability to learn Harvard systems and web software quickly is a requirement.
- Proficiency in Photoshop or other design software is a plus.