When you apply for this position, please say you saw this job on Green Dream Jobs!!
As a global philanthropy, Climate Breakthrough’s mission is to make an outsized impact in resolving the climate crisis. We do this by supporting extraordinary leaders to pursue their most ambitious, innovative climate endeavors with the Climate Breakthrough Award, a multi-million-dollar, multi-year, flexible grant that empowers our awardees to translate their boldest ideas into transformative climate action that swiftly and justly closes the gap between the world today and a sustainable future.
Each year, we select several exceptional strategists from around the world to receive the Climate Breakthrough Award: a US$3 million dollar grant and tailored support over three years to bring visionary strategies from idea to fruition. We believe that many of the most capable leaders have not yet been given sufficient time, space, support, and funding to develop the kind of climate strategies our world desperately needs. Our program is designed to give these brilliant strategists exactly that opportunity. Our mission is reliant on reaching beyond established networks and approaches to empower a diverse range of voices, perspectives, and strategies.
Climate Breakthrough is funded by the David and Lucile Packard Foundation, IKEA Foundation, Quadrature Climate Foundation, JPB Foundation, Vere, and the Good Energies Foundation. Launched in 2016, Climate Breakthrough has issued seventeen awards to date. For more information about Climate Breakthrough and our awardees, please visit www.climatebreakthrough.org.
The Portfolio Manager will coordinate the provision of tailored support services and will serve as the primary organizational point of contact for Climate Breakthrough Awardees. In this role, the Portfolio Manager will contribute to and coordinate Climate Breakthrough team support for all aspects of awardee engagement with an emphasis on supporting awardee organizational development and management, strategic planning, and fundraising. They will be an experienced project manager who can organize support for a diverse group of awardees tailored to drive their strategies forward as effectively and efficiently as possible, and bolster their chances of success during, and after, their tenures with Climate Breakthrough. The Portfolio Manager’s role is that of support and advocacy for the awardee and their strategy—asking awardees every step of the way, “How can we help you succeed?” The Portfolio Manager will determine how best to provide that service whether directly or by identifying and engaging help from either internal or external resources.
The Portfolio Manager will report to and work closely with the Climate Breakthrough Director of Programs and the rest of the small, tight-knit team to evaluate, strengthen, grow, and evolve Climate Breakthrough. The Portfolio Manager will be a key contributor to the entire Climate Breakthrough program, supporting impact & learning, fundraising, communications, and grants administration in their engagement with awardees. Our ideal candidate is passionate about addressing climate change, has deep experience in project management, and above all else, excels at helping others do their best work.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Serve as primary point of contact for Climate Breakthrough Awardees:
- Serve as a partner for the awardees to ensure their requests are prioritized and addressed efficiently throughout the organization.
- Conduct regular check-ins with each awardee to help inform the provision of a suite of support services with a keen focus on advancing awardees’ strategies effectively and efficiently. Most often support comes in the form of strategy coaching and training, assistance with relationship and network building, and capacity building, either for the awardee or their team. Support may also include help with recruitment, meeting facilitation, theory of change and/or strategy development, organizational development support, or providing access to valuable contacts.
- Coordinate with the Director of Programs to determine which support services will be provided by the Climate Breakthrough team and which by external vendors.
- Conduct research in support of awardee needs, e.g., consultant/expert identification, regional fundraising prospects, etc.
- Coordinate with awardees on administrative and programmatic matters, including the following:
- Development and submission of strategy documents, budgets, and reports.
- Administrative requests or needs from Climate Breakthrough, including grant administration.
- Strengthen and build the network of consultants and experts supporting awardees, including the creation of a formal network for strong partners of the program.
- Create structures and organize opportunities for awardee-to-awardee learning and connection.
- Streamline the process for receiving and compiling regular awardee updates to support board, impact & learning, communications, and fundraising activities.
- Participate in the candidate evaluation and due diligence process.
- Serve as a thought partner to the Director of Programs and the entire team to strengthen the program.
- Provide support for the planning and implementation of future Climate Breakthrough events, such as awardee and team retreats, awardee onboarding, board meetings, and strategic planning meetings.
- Participate in periodic efforts to evaluate and refine Climate Breakthrough’s strategy and theory of change.
Successful applicants will have most of the following qualifications:
- Several years’ experience in a project management role within the climate space or an adjacent mission-driven field (e.g., environment, human rights, international development)
- Familiarity with areas of work relevant to our awardees is highly valuable (e.g., philanthropy, campaigning, movement building, grassroots advocacy, strategy development, organizational development)
- A high level of initiative, strong organizational skills, and meticulous attention to detail
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship-building skills
- Comfort working internationally and cross-culturally
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Fluency in English required, fluency in a foreign language desirable (e.g., Spanish, Mandarin)
- Ability to travel nationally and internationally 2-4 times per year and undertake occasional evening and weekend work
- Commitment to and enthusiasm for the mission of Climate Breakthrough
- Cross-cultural sensitivity and awareness and commitment to justice, equity, inclusion, and diversity
This role can be performed from anywhere in the US, with the understanding that regular availability during West Coast business hours will be expected. Please note that Full Time at Climate Breakthrough is 35 hours/week; we also have a 31.5 hour/week option (90% time), for which salary is adjusted accordingly. The desired start date for this position is November 2023.
For a San Francisco Bay Area-based employee, the salary range for this role is $100,000 - $120,000 (geographic differential will be applied based on location). Climate Breakthrough offers a generous benefits package that includes the following:
- 35-hour workweek, with a reduced hour workweek option available
- Medical (PPO and HMO), Dental, and Vision plans with 100% employee coverage and >50% coverage for dependents
- 20 days paid vacation per year, with 25 days after two years
- 10 days paid sick leave per year
- All federal holidays observed, plus Christmas Eve and the day after Thanksgiving, as well as two floating holidays and birthday off
- 401k plan with employer contribution
- Long-term disability and life insurance
CEA Recruiting is assisting Climate Breakthrough in their recruitment efforts. To be considered for this position, interested candidates should use the link below to submit a resume and cover letter through CEA’s job portal. Preference will be given to applications received before September 11th, but the position will remain posted until filled.
Please direct any inquiries to Tamara Evans, Search Lead at email@example.com. Apply here: https://job.ceaconsulting.com/jobs/portfolio-manager-remote--107059
Climate Breakthrough is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or veteran status.
As a result of Climate Breakthrough’s development over the last six years, we are growing and making valuable structural changes as an organization. As part of this transition, Climate Breakthrough has codified principles and is establishing practices that reflect our strong commitment to justice, diversity, equity, and inclusion. Our current team and new hires work together closely to set the standards to which we hold our work and ourselves.
CEA Recruiting works with leading environmental nonprofits, foundations, and businesses to recruit top talent and design effective organizational staffing strategies. For more information, visit www.cearecruiting.com.