When you apply for this position, please say you saw this job on Green Dream Jobs!!
Preferred by Nature, an FSC Member and Certification Body, is seeking a Forestry Specialist to be based in New England (Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, Massachusetts, Connecticut) or New York, with other locations to be considered.
The organization works for sustainable land management and climate-friendly solutions. With 300+ employees and a network of local experts, Preferred by Nature develops practical solutions to drive positive impacts in production landscapes and supply chains in 100+ countries, focused on forest and climate impact commodities and related sectors.
Location: We are now seeking a Forestry Specialist to be based in New England (Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, Massachusetts, Connecticut) or New York (Other locations may be considered).
What you will do
In the role of Forestry Specialist, you will apply your highly developed client management and quality auditing service skills. You will work within your team to collectively provide client management and auditing services to a subset of forestry clients in the US/Canada regions.
You will be directly involved in all aspects of forestry certification assessments and audits including scheduling, project management, customer service, technical guidance, consultant management, quality control and acting as auditor/lead auditor. This role will manage all facets of certification and organisation policy compliance while maintaining a high level of professionalism, efficiency and quality of service as measured by client satisfaction and quality/assurance monitoring and reporting metrics, and conformance with the certification standards. The Forestry Specialist also acts as technical lead on specific subjects, as required.
Other tasks include:
- Managing the execution of forestry engagements throughout the region, including budgeting, service contracts, auditing team identification, logistical planning, support to auditors, report review, coordinating peer reviews, finalising, and approving reports.
- Serving as primary client contact, lead auditor/auditor, and technical reviewer for selected assessments and audits.
- Communicating with ENGOs, Tribes/First Nations, and other interested parties regarding assessment and audit status, explaining Preferred by Nature position on interpretations of the forest certification standard and certification decisions.
- Providing regular progress reports on audit timelines, performance, and goal progress to the supervisor.
- Developing and providing strong expertise, remaining current and highly knowledgeable in standards, policies, and protocols.
- Ensuring efficiency, quality control, and adherence to technical and administration certification protocols for all jobs directly under her/his responsibilities.
- Providing customer service to current and potential clients including, but not limited to, providing information about certification, market linkages, guidance on the certification process, marketing, and responding to inquiries relating to forestry certification.
- Giving presentations and attending meetings, as needed, to promote Preferred by Nature.
- Contributing to developing client recruitment strategies for regional market segments, key forest landowners/managers, and forest products companies, to increase the overall competitiveness of Preferred by Nature in the marketplace as required.
- Supporting the development and launch of new products and services and assisting in the field testing.
- Providing input for policy development and technical improvements to the certification system.
- Working closely with other Preferred by Nature staff to ensure accuracy & consistency of standards interpretations.
- Managing specific technical proficiencies and responsibilities as required.
- Assisting developing junior staff through sharing experience and providing coaching as required; and
- Other related assignments as necessary.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Forestry, Natural Resource Management, Forest Ecology, or related field required, Master’s Degree a plus.
- Minimum of 5 years of field experience in forestry, forest ecology or related areas. Silviculture and harvesting experience is a plus.
- Environmental management system auditor training experience preferred; Knowledge of FSC and other certification systems and Preferred by Nature a plus.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English required.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in French a plus.
- Strong computer skills (word processing, databases, spreadsheets) and presentation skills.
- Strong organisational, multi-tasking skills and attention to detail.
- Initiative, self-motivation, resourcefulness, dependability.
- Field auditing may require exposure to difficult terrain and hot, dry, or cold, inclement weather.
- Experience/working knowledge of forest products, agriculture and/or Sustainable Biomass projects.
What we offer
- Work time: 35 hours/week (full-time with competitive benefits package)
- An in-depth onboarding and professional training to provide you with the right skills and knowledge to thrive in this role
- An exciting and challenging position within a dynamic and innovative international organization with a mission-driven work atmosphere
- Excellent opportunities for growth and professional development
- Potential future international travel opportunities
- A friendly, international team of colleagues, with a pleasant work environment
- Working location: home office
- Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience
- This position reports to the Preferred by Nature Manager, Technical Services US/Canada
- Expected starting date: as soon as possible
- Please click "Apply" below to email your CV and letter of application (in English), including salary expectations, by 1 August 2022..
- Please note: Only applicants legally eligible to work in the United States will be considered.
- For questions, please contact:
Kara Wires, Manager, Technical Services US/Canada
Preferred by Nature wishes our staff to reflect the diversity of society and thus welcomes applications from all qualified candidates regardless of personal background.