When you apply for this position, please say you saw this job on Green Dream Jobs!!
Energy Northwest is a joint operating agency formed by the Washington state legislature in 1957, representing the convergence of small and big public power.
Our consortium of 27 public utility districts and municipalities across Washington takes advantage of economies of scale and shared services that help utilities run their operations more efficiently and at lower cost, to the benefit of more than 1.5 million customers.
Our agency further improves quality of life throughout the Northwest through the generation of clean, reliable electricity from nuclear, wind, hydro and solar projects.
The Environmental Scientist III develops, implements, and administers Energy Northwest (EN) environmental programs to ensure the safety of Columbia Generating Station (CGS) facilities and protect human health and the environment. With a minimum of supervision provides leadership and coordination in developing EN policies, programs, and procedures for the Environmental Management System (EMS), hazardous waste management, pollution prevention, industrial hygiene, workplace drug screening, chemical control, radiological and non-radiological compliance monitoring, and laboratory chemical hygiene to ensure compliance with complex federal, state, and local regulations. May act as lead person or technical advisor for cross-disciplinary projects. Works closely with all EN organizations and levels of management to monitor, communicate, and report environmental information and performance, and to help resolve environmental problems and issues.
- Performs complex environmental work requiring considerable exercise of independent analysis and judgment in environmental issues. This includes developing, implementing, maintaining, monitoring, coordinating, and directing environmental programs in a manner protective of the environment, human health, and power generating facilities. These programs include, but are not limited to:
- Hazardous and mixed waste management
- Chemical control
- Pollution prevention and waste management
- Laboratory chemical hygiene
- NPDES compliance monitoring and reporting
- Radiological and non-radiological environmental compliance monitoring
- Workplace drug screening (EMIT)
- Keeps up to date and informed on all federal, state, and local laws and EN commitments involving environmental issues including evaluating and developing comments on proposed state and federal environmental laws and regulations and the ISO 14001 EMS standard. Advises management of impact, and develops for management approval strategies for compliance to regulations to ensure compliance in a safe and cost effective manner. Responds to concerns or citations from regulatory agencies or non-conformances from EMS audits.
- Sponsors, develops, and maintains corporate, site wide, plant, and department procedures to ensure environmental programs are in compliance with federal, state, and local laws or in conformance to EMS requirements. This includes performing Plant Licensing Basis Determinations for procedure changes and providing technical direction to all organizations for environmental issues and EMS implementation.
- Leads in the identification of ongoing and future environmental needs and the development and implementation of comprehensive strategies to meet these needs in areas of EMS, facilities compliance, environmental permitting, site investigation and remediation, waste management, chemical control, workplace drug screening and spill planning and response.
- Maintains an understanding of company industrial processes that require environmental attention and exhibits leadership for other organizations in anticipating and addressing evolving environmental issues.
- Serve as Project Manager for medium to large technical projects for internal and external clients.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in Environmental Science, Engineering, Chemistry, or a related field depending upon work assignments, plus seven or more years of experience in an environmental related field involving industrial setting with four years direct working level experience.
- One or more of the following may be required depending on the specific assignment:
- Emergency Response Hazardous Material Technician certification (WAC 296-62-41020)
- Hazardous Waste Operations Supervisor certification (WAC 296-62-30415)
- Department of Transportation (DOT) Hazmat Employee training (49 CFR 172.700)
- Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator certification.
Energy Northwest is dedicated to supporting and providing all our employees with a safe and healthy work environment. As a Federal Government Contractor, our Energy Services & Development (ES&D) Group is required to comply with the Federally mandated COVID-19 safety measures pursuant to Executive Order 14042. This aligns with our commitment of safety first for the health of our employees, their families, and our community. All ES&D employees are required to have a COVID-19 vaccine as a condition of employment, subject to accommodation or approved exemption prior to their start date.
We are an Equal VACCINATION: Energy Northwest is dedicated to supporting and providing all our employees with a safe and healthy work environment. As a Federal Government Contractor, our Energy Services & Development (ES&D) Group may be required to comply with the Federally mandated COVID-19 safety measures pursuant to Executive Order 14042. This aligns with our commitment of safety first for the health of our employees, their families, and our community. All ES&D employees may be required to have a COVID-19 vaccine as a condition of employment, subject to accommodation or approved exemption prior to their start date.
- $89,665 minimum to $112,081 midpoint.
- Typically, selected candidates are hired at a salary rate between the minimum and midpoint of the range, based on applicable experience and qualifications, market rate, internal equity, and budgetary allowances.
- We offer medical, dental, vision and disability insurances. We also offer three different retirement programs including a state pension plan and matching 401k. Benefits include 4 weeks of personal time off, holiday pay, tuition reimbursement, and many voluntary benefits.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate due to race, color, age, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, ethnicity, religion, national origin, veteran status or on the basis of disability.