When you apply for this position, please say you saw this job on Green Dream Jobs!!
~ The Alliance for Clean Energy is a member-based organization with a mission of promoting clean, renewable electricity technologies and energy efficiency in New York State, in order to increase energy diversity and security, boost economic development, improve public health and reduce air pollution. ~
We are a member-based advocacy organization, and our members include a variety of renewable energy and energy efficiency businesses, as well as public interest environmental organizations. Our work focuses on building market opportunities for renewable energy and energy efficiency businesses through policy advocacy at State agencies and the Legislature. ACE NY is the New York State affiliate of the American Clean Power Association and the Advanced Energy Economy Institute.
Overview / Director, New York Offshore Wind Alliance
The New York Offshore Wind Alliance (NYOWA), a partnership between the Alliance for Clean Energy New York (ACE NY), offshore wind companies, and environmental organizations, is seeking a full-time director to be based in New York City or Albany, NY, with a preference for Albany.
The director will be employed by the Alliance for Clean Energy New York (ACE NY). Activities of NYOWA will be guided by a steering committee comprised of the National Wildlife Federation, Natural Resources Defense Council, Sierra Club, University of Delaware Special Initiative on Offshore Wind, and four private offshore wind companies.
The NYOWA Director will have the following duties and responsibilities:
- Advocate for policies to support development of the offshore wind industry in New York State at relevant New York State regulatory agencies, the Legislature, the New York Independent System Operator (NYISO), and relevant federal agencies;
- Track, research and analyze proposed policies that will affect the development of an offshore wind industry in New York and develop detailed position statements on proposals;
- In cooperation with the Steering Committee, set the strategic direction by drafting a comprehensive two-year action plan, and coordinate implementation of the action plan;
- Serve as spokesperson for the project, including developing and delivering position statements to government entities; issuing statements to the media; and conducting speaking engagements in support of offshore wind development in New York;
- Participate in, and assist in the coordination of, a coalition of civic, labor, environmental justice and environmental organizations in support of offshore wind development for New York; assist in the recruitment of new coalition members and facilitate coordination among stakeholders to ensure a strategic and focused advocacy effort;
- Coordinate and consult with other renewable energy and offshore wind advocacy groups such as RENEW Northeast, Mid-Atlantic Renewable Energy Coalition (MAREC) and Offshore Wind California, particularly with regards to communications and messaging;
- Build consensus among, and provide thought leadership to, the members of the New York Offshore Wind Alliance and its Steering Committee.
- A minimum of 5 – 10 years related and relevant work experience in renewable energy business development, advocacy, and/or policy development;
- Excellent communications and writing skills;
- Experience in government relations;
- Bachelor’s degree in energy or environmental policy, or related field;
- Proven track record and demonstrated expertise in public policy and advocacy;
- Ability to successfully lead a diverse coalition; work in collaboration with both business interests and non-profit environmental, environmental justice, and labor organizations;
- Ability to self-direct to complete diverse tasks; and develop and execute strategic plans.
- Willingness to undertake frequent travel between New York City, Albany, and Long Island, with considerable time in Albany, NY if located remotely in the NYC Metro area.
- Experience with government relations in New York State (City or State) and established relationships in the New York energy/environmental policy arena;
- Experience in the field of offshore wind;
- Advanced degree related and relevant to renewable energy, environment, public policy;
- Demonstrated communication skills, media experience, strong writing ability, and public relations success.
- Interested applicants should click "Apply" below to email both a resume and cover letter with the subject line “OFFSHORE WIND APPLICATION FOR (insert name)” to Anne Reynolds.
- Applicants should feel free to also send references or writing samples, although it is not required.
- Additional information about NYOWA is available at www.NYOWA.org and on ACE NY is available at www.aceny.org.
ACE NY is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.