When you apply for this position, please say you saw this job on Green Dream Jobs!!
Russian Riverkeeper has been fighting since 1993 to ensure a thriving river system and your rights to fishable, swimmable, and drinkable waters. Russian Riverkeeper supports its river community by providing science-based advocacy, removing trash, restoring healthy habitat, and educating youth.
Russian Riverkeeper is a proud member of the international Waterkeeper Alliance and California Coastkeeper Alliance. Learn more at the www.russianriverkeeper.org and @rriverkeeper.
Russian Riverkeeper is seeking a collaborative, impact-focused, self-starter with a passion for environmental issues to join our mission-driven team as Development Director. As Development Director, the selected candidate will join a competent, enthusiastic team of staff members, a supportive, hard-working Board of Directors and committee members, and a growing list of donors, all of whom are devoted to protecting the Russian River.
You will be joining a team with great momentum and energy that will help you succeed. This position reports to the Executive Director and is based in our Healdsburg office with the option to work remotely with travel to the office as needed.
- Create and implement a multi-year strategic development and fundraising plan with goal, priorities, strategies, measurable objectives, and activities.
- Work closely with the Executive Director and Board members to achieve annual fundraising goals from major donors, corporations, foundations, membership, and events.
- Work closely with the Executive Director and Communications Manager to effectively share news about Riverkeeper’s work with funders and donors through direct communication, social media, email marketing, and direct mail.
- Ensure all communications are consistent with fundraising, development, and brand awareness goals.
- Cultivate and manage donor acquisitions and steward existing, new, and prospective individual major gift donors with assistance from the Executive Director and Board of Directors.
- Develop, implement, and maintain a comprehensive membership program that retains donors, increases individual giving, and acquires new donors.
- Supervise and mentor development and communications staff.
- With Board and staff assistance, identify and build relationships with all business communities in the Russian River watershed.
- Oversee organization of fundraising events.
- Oversee and mentor all foundation and corporate grant-writing efforts and assist in preparation of all grant proposals and required reports.
- Manage Salesforce donor database.
- Produce detailed development reports highlighting targets for the Executive Director and Board of Directors.
- Begin and maintain a planned-giving program.
Qualifications & Requirements
- The ideal candidate has a positive attitude, sense of humor, is conscientious, ethical, self-motivated and a quick learner, who provides follow-through in all areas of responsibility and enjoys team collaboration.
- A Bachelor’s degree in communications, business, finance, public relations, or closely related discipline is desired. A “Certified Fund Raising Executive” designation is desirable but not required.
- Experience in fundraising and development.
Additional skills and abilities include:
- Strong knowledge and demonstrated success in building and maintaining mutually beneficial relationships with individuals, family, private and corporate funding sources.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills. Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly and effectively to a range of audiences in meetings, over email, and through formal work product and presentations. Experience adapting communication style to different cultural environments.
- Exceptional organizational skills combined with attention to detail.
- Experience in staff supervision and working with nonprofit Boards and committees.
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously, within time constraints.
- Highly skilled in Microsoft Office Suite – Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook. Proficiency in Salesforce or other CRM.
- The job requires typical office environment work whether at home or the office (working on a computer, on phone, etc.) and use of standard office equipment.
- Ability to travel to various meetings and sites throughout the watershed is occasionally needed.
Compensation & Position Status
- This is a regular, fulltime staff position and is eligible for Russian Riverkeeper benefit programs. The starting salary range is $70,000 – $95,000 and is based on experience.
- The position is open now and is temporarily remote with option to continue remote work provided candidate can travel to Healdsburg area as needed.
- Please click "Apply" below to email a cover letter, your resume, and references, with the subject line “Development Director – last name, first name”.
- Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled and candidates for interview will be contacted. Please do not contact the office directly.
An Equal Opportunity Employer
Russian Riverkeeper is an equal opportunity employer and highly values diversity. Russian Riverkeeper maintains a policy of non-discrimination regarding age, ancestry, color, creed, disability, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other class protected by applicable state or federal law. Women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.