When you apply for this position, please say you saw this job on Green Dream Jobs!!
Community Rebuilds' mission is to build energy-efficient housing, provide education on sustainability, and improve the housing conditions of the workforce through an affordable program.
Community Rebuilds seeks a Construction Manager to oversee all field aspects of the construction process at all CR job sites. The Construction Manager will provide specific project planning, supervision, and oversight of residential building sites during all phases of construction in a way that utilizes resources efficiently to produce quality homes in a safe, affordable manner. They will ensure all homes are built to the standards and rules set forth by the USDA Rural Development Mutual Self-Help program. They will provide leadership to the Construction Supervisor, AmeriCorps apprentices, homeowners, and volunteers in partnership with the Planning and Development Coordinator. They will bring their knowledge and experience to the organization to develop construction quality assurance methods that improve long-term product and efficiencies.
This is a hands-on position that requires extensive building and project management experience. The ideal candidate will be solution-oriented and consistently produce deliverables as scheduled. The individual should have a background with strong experience in running multiple projects and budgets, and knowledge of using construction management software. They will provide construction skill and expertise where needed either through training and leading of volunteers or through actual hands-on labor.
Primary duties and responsibilities include:
- Supervise, mentor, train, and line out daily activities and goals for site supervisors, AmeriCorps members serving as apprentices, homeowners, volunteers, and students.
- Plan and coordinate scheduling of build volunteer labor in collaboration with the Outreach Coordinator and the apprentice Volunteer Coordinator. Identify volunteer need projections and communicate those needs to the appropriate staff.
- Assist with building plan and site development with Planning and Development Coordinator.
- Prepare or oversee accurate material take-offs for each project.
- Seek bids and quotes from vendors and subcontractors; oversee contracts and scheduling of all subcontractors; ensure timely clear communication with subcontractors and vendors; maintain and develop new connections to vendors; and ensure timely and accurate progress and completion of scope of work.
- Create budgets and assist with budget oversight, planning, analyzing, and forecasting.
- Work with the Planning and Development Coordinator to acquire approvals and permits from all relevant municipal officials.
- Prepare and maintain build schedule for each house and update weekly.
- Ensure material delivery and storage schedules meet anticipated needs, maintain accuracy of material list, and oversee on-site security to minimize potential loss through theft and vandalism.
- Manage building inspections and ensure that homes are built to current code.
- Quickly and effectively handle any warranty repairs and quality assurance claims or issues.
- Perform high-level project planning, incorporating regular daily use of ProCore construction management software, Google Drive, and Microsoft Project as needed.
- Coordinate with the Administrative Assistant, Construction Supervisor, and apprentices to organize/maintain all digital and paper documentation for each project.
- Lead weekly build team meetings to coordinate weekly construction plan and ensure site safety protocols are being followed.
- Be familiar with USDA Self-Help build process and documentation requirements, as well as Community Rebuilds build standards.
- Coordinate the planning and leadership of monthly homeowner meetings to communicate construction needs and decisions, and to ensure homeowners are meeting the criteria of the USDA Self-Help program.
- Maintain awareness of building codes and contractor licensing requirements.
- Work with the Planning and Development Coordinator, Construction Supervisor, and Executive Director to develop an overall build plan for each calendar year.
- Must have commitment to the Community Rebuilds mission and uphold its values and ethics
- Ability to work with people of all races, genders, faiths, and backgrounds a must
- 5-10 years of related residential home construction experience indicating a progression of responsibilities and supervision
- An absolute commitment to job safety
- Proven ability to effectively control construction costs to maximize limited resources entrusted to Community Rebuilds by its supporters
- Ability to maintain a good working relationship with volunteers and homeowner families
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills a must
- Ability to prepare clear and concise oral and written reports
- Intermediate skill level with Microsoft Office and Google Drive
- Intermediate skill level in ProCore or similar construction management programs
- Ability to work with both professional and novice construction workers, and maintain patience and show enthusiasm for instructing novices while being able to communicate effectively with professionals
- Minimum high school education; college courses, certificates, and/or degree a plus
- Ability to lift 50 pounds or more
- Able to climb ladders and scaffolding; navigate a build site; willing to work in inclement weather; stand for long periods of time; and maintain balance while working on roofs, scaffolding, etc.