When you apply for this position, please say you saw this job on Green Dream Jobs!!
Clearway Energy Group is leading the transition to a world powered by clean energy. Along with our public affiliate Clearway Energy, Inc., we own and operate more than 8 gigawatts of renewable and conventional energy assets across the country. As we develop a nationwide pipeline of new renewable energy projects for the future, Clearway’s 5.6 gigawatts of wind, solar, and energy storage assets offset the equivalent of more than 10.5 million metric tons of carbon emissions for our customers today.
Clearway Energy Group is headquartered in San Francisco with offices in Carlsbad, Calif.; Scottsdale, Ariz.; Houston; and Princeton, N.J.
Reporting to the Senior Manager of Project Engineering, the Project Engineer is responsible for managing the review, coordination, and approval of the detailed design package for Clearway Energy Group’s pipeline of solar and energy storage projects throughout the U.S. As part of the Engineering & Strategic Procurement department, the Project Engineer will also manage internal and external personnel to provide optimized designs, participate in the negotiation and execution of key contract exhibits, and support construction and commissioning activities by reviewing and approving commissioning test reports. The Project Engineer will work closely with Clearway Energy’s internal departments including Origination, Development, Development Engineering, Construction, Procurement, Project Finance, and O&M; as well as with EPC contractors, Independent Engineers, financing parties, and other consultants, contractors, and stakeholders as needed.
Location: This position can be based in our San Francisco, CA, Houston, TX, Carlsbad, CA, or Scottsdale, AZ offices.
Principal Responsibilities & Key Results
- Technical lead and primary design and engineering point of contact for the Development and Construction teams supporting intermediate to advanced stage development utility scale PV, PV+Storage, and stand-alone Energy Storage projects
- Manage all resources internally or externally as necessary to obtain or review final site due diligence required to finalize scope, project costs, schedule, energy output, and risks with an independent EPC contractor or Developer
- Review the Engineering deliverables to ensure the final design meets contractual, cost and performance requirements for our customers and financing partners
- Develop, refine or evaluate energy input assessments and power output expectations.
- Perform or oversee analyses to optimize site layouts, engineering design and equipment selection to maximize performance and minimize lifecycle costs
- Direct activities of designers, consultants and contractors, and manage meetings and conference calls to achieve efficient use of resources, meet deadlines for deliverables, minimize delays, avoid crises and resolve conflicts
- Write, edit and/or review technical scope of work documents, specifications, procedures, site reports, progress reports, feasibility studies, proposals, presentations, etc. Review and negotiate technical aspects of EPC contracts, interconnect agreements, etc.
- Coordinate with Development team and external consultants to deliver energy resource predictions and production simulations, shading studies, electrical schematics, plant plans and equipment layouts, system cost estimates, EPC contracts, technical exhibits, etc.
- Review, manage, and maintain contractor deliverables during construction to hit critical contractual contract and financing milestones including site, civil, structural and electrical plans, permitting and construction documents
- Support construction as a technical escalation point and owner’s representative to mitigate delays and scope creep, maintain schedule and budgets
- Represent Clearway (CEG) in interviews, meetings, negotiations with clients, project developers, suppliers, consultants, utilities and regulatory authorities
- Contribute to CEG’s technology roadmap, software tools, engineering capability and project management processes
- Technical support and management of internal business development programs and initiatives
- B.S. degree in mechanical, electrical, or civil engineering, or related subject. M.S. degree and/or P.E. desirable
- Minimum 4+ years of solar industry experience, including 3+ years of direct EPC experience completing the detailed design, permitting, and construction of solar projects with 1+ year of storage experience
Knowledge & Skills:
- Understanding of solar and storage project design, optimization tradeoffs and familiarity with current solar and storage market, equipment suppliers, contractors, typical technical specifications, and costs
- Experience with solar and storage project financing and independent engineer requirements
- Understanding of solar and storage energy estimates, losses, assumptions, and standards
- Experience with review and negotiation of engineering, procurement, and construction contracts and technical exhibits for solar and storage facilities
- Experience managing consultants and contractors
- Working knowledge of relevant US and IEC equipment standards, codes and construction practices
- Detail-oriented and self-motivated with ability to perform in a dynamic and collaborative working environment.
- Ability and willingness to travel (<20%) and occasionally to work after hours on short notice when necessary.
- Proven ability to organize and prioritize work, manage relationships with clients, colleagues, consultants and contractors
- Excellent written and verbal communications, mathematical competence, analytical, creative design and problem-solving skills, team oriented with ability to work alone when needed
Note: Clearway will not sponsor nonimmigrant visas for this position (H-1B, TN, E-3, etc.).