Commons Capital is a venture capital fund that seeks strong financial returns as well as significant social and environmental impact.
We invest in "double bottom-line" early-stage companies whose products, services or corporate cultures promote a sustainable economy by delivering market solutions to major social and environmental challenges.
We invest in companies in Clean Energy, Environment, Education, and Healthcare.
We are interested in companies whose product or service addresses a major social or environmental challenge by:
* Reducing adverse environmental impacts;
* Improving efficient utilization of natural resources;
* Expanding access to information and education;
* Expanding access to or improving healthcare;
* Supporting new enterprise creation in economically disadvantaged communities;
* Promoting sustainable agriculture, organic food and improved nutrition.
We will not consider companies involved in producing unsafe products or services such as tobacco, alcohol, gambling, weapons, or nuclear power.
We are also interested in companies whose corporate cultures contribute to a sustainable economy by:
* Supporting access to capital by women and minority entrepreneurs;
* Addressing inequities in corporate governance, including management compensation and Board diversity;
* Promoting corporate philanthropy and active involvement in the community;
* Promoting corporate accountability and full disclosure, including regular social and environmental audits and accountability to all stakeholders;
* Promoting, through brand recognition, consumer awareness of social and environmental issues.
In evaluating investments in other venture capital funds, we seek funds that exhibit:
* Investment strategies consistent with our social and environmental criteria;
* Superior management with a proven track record and the willingness to collaborate with us on deal flow and co-investment;
* Well-defined investment niches and established deal flow relationships, providing a clear competitive advantage.
We review our investments periodically with an Advisory Board of leading practitioners of sustainability investing to determine how well we are meeting our social and environmental objectives.