When you apply for this position, please say you saw this job on Green Dream Jobs!!
~ The YMCA of Greater Des Moines is a powerful association of men, women and children of all ages and from all walks of life joined together by a shared passion: to strengthen the foundations of community. ~
With a commitment to nurturing the potential of kids, promoting healthy living and fostering a sense of social responsibility, the Y ensures that every individual has access to the essentials needed to learn, grow and thrive. The Y has the long-standing relationships and physical presence not just to promise, but to deliver, lasting personal and social change.
At the Y, strengthening community is our cause. Our staff members are people who drive this cause – it is because of our drive, our passion, our belief in others, and our belief in the strength of our mission that we are able to make a difference – every day.
As a Program Instructor, you will have the opportunity to provide a positive program participant experience. You will offer a quality program, promote healthy living, and build relationships with the members and families of your Y. Every position positively impacts others at the Y - Join us, we make a difference!
This position will work for all Day Camps in the YMCA of Greater Des Moines Association. They will lead the Nature/Environmental Camps at our Day Camp locations. They will also assist with the Day Camps Specialty Camps throughout the summer.
To positively impact others, Y Staff Team Members exemplify cause-driven leadership competencies:
- Demonstrates in word and action the Y's CORE VALUES of caring, honesty, respect and responsibility and a commitment to the Y's mission, in all matters at all times
- Delivers the benefits of good health, strong connections, greater self-confidence, and a sense of security to all who seek it
- Tells the Y story to help others understand the impact of the Y; develops relationships with members to support fundraising; supports fundraising efforts
- Values all people for their unique talents and takes an active role in promoting practices that support diversity, inclusion and cultural competence
- Builds authentic relationships in the service of enhancing individual and team performance to support the Y's work
- Listens for understanding and meaning, seeks to understand the other person's point of view and expresses self effectively and in a manner that reflects a true understanding of the needs of the audience
- Prepare lesson plans
- Demonstrate and teach activities
- Conduct program in a fun, positive atmosphere
- Know emergency procedures and be able to demonstrate them
- Report specific problems or needs to supervisor or designated staff person
- Performs additional duties as assigned by supervisor or designated staff person
- Demonstrate and support the objectives of the Association as embodied in the mission statement and values
- Ability to read, write, and perform simple mathematical functions
- Online New Employee Orientation (available in the YMCA Training Program)
- Online New Employee Safety Orientation (available in the YMCA Training Program)
- Y Leaders Orientation (available in the YMCA Training Program)
- American Red Cross CPR-PR/AED/First Aid Certifications or equivalent certifications approved by the YMCA (available in the YMCA Training Program)
- American Red Cross Blood Borne Pathogens Training or equivalent training approved by the YMCA (available in the YMCA Training Program)
- Visual, auditory, and verbal ability to communicate with people and monitor property and activity
- Ability to perform moderate physical activity
- Ability to adapt to changing working conditions
- Ability to work with diverse group of people
- Good communication skills
- Good organizational skills
- Ability to teach/train program participants
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
- Attend trainings and/or courses as required by the YMCA
Please be sure to click here and follow the application instructions provided on our website.