When you apply for this position, please say you saw this job on Green Dream Jobs!!
~ The Midpeninsula Regional Open Space District is a regional greenbelt system in the San Francisco Bay Area. It is comprised of over 60,000 acres of land in 26 open space preserves protected for public enjoyment, making a preserve system of diverse and unparalleled beauty in one of the largest metropolitan areas in the country. ~
Our Preserves include redwood, oak, and fir forests, chaparral-covered hillsides, riparian corridors, grasslands, and wetlands along the San Francisco Bay. Ranging from 55 to over 18,000 acres, 24 preserves are open to the public free of charge, 365 days a year. Visitors will find over 225 miles of trails, ranging from easy to challenging terrain.
Our mission is to acquire and preserve a regional greenbelt of open space land in perpetuity, protect and restore the natural environment, and provide opportunities for ecologically sensitive public enjoyment and education.
The Public Affairs Manager position is a premier opportunity for an energetic and collaborative leader to join the Midpeninsula Regional Open Space District as we move forward into the next chapter of our history. The ideal candidate for Public Affairs Manager will be an innovative, experienced professional with the demonstrated ability to lead, think, and act strategically to deliver the District’s critical Public Affairs function and activities.
Individuals interested in the position must possess strong verbal and written communication skills along with the capacity to develop and sustain effective working relationships with internal departments and partner agencies, as well as with elected officials at all levels of government. If you are passionate about contributing to the legacy of open space, we look forward to hearing from you. Additional details about the position are available in the recruitment brochure.
- A minimum of 5 years of management-level experience in public relations, communications, or governmental affairs, or a related field is required.
- Candidates for Public Affairs Manager are expected to have a working understanding of District functions and activities, including the role of the Board of Directors.
- Successful candidates will have experience working in public information, community engagement, governmental affairs, and will bring creative problem-solving skills honed by experience to develop, oversee, and implement projects.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills are also keys to success in this position along with the ability to represent the agency in front of the media when needed.
- Educational requirements include a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in public relations, communications, public or business administration, or a related field and 5 years of management experience in public affairs, community engagement, or a related area.
- A Master’s degree in a related field is highly desirable.
- For a detailed job description, please see the Public Affairs Manager job description.
Compensation: $121,668 to $151,956 annually.
The Open Space District provides an excellent benefits package including health, life & disability insurance as well as CalPERS pension. Please see the Benefits page of the District website for details.
Please click below: "Apply" to upload your resume and letter of interest in the position. First review of application materials will be conducted Tuesday, March 28, 2017.
We highly recommend interested applicants apply by the first review date of March 28th to be considered for the position. Although the recruitment will remain open until the position is filled, acceptance of application materials may close at any time after March 28th without notice.
Application materials will be acknowledged promptly and interest in the position will remain confidential. General inquiries or questions regarding the position may be emailed, or contact Pamela Mullen, Human Resources Analyst II, at 650-625-6547.
We recommend planning your calendar accordingly as these dates have been confirmed:
- First review of applicants – March 28, 2017
- Selection of candidates – Week of April 3, 2017
- First interview – Week of April 10, 2017
- Second interview – Week of April 17, 2017
- General Manager interview – April 24, 2017
~ The Midpeninsula Regional Open Space District is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Applicants with disabilities may request reasonable accommodation by contacting the Human Resources Department. ~